New Levels

Safer than Professor Rex's office hours
19683
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

New Levels

Postby 19683 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:50 pm

It would be cool if you added more levels to velocity raptor.

Maybe you can add photons (light particles), mirrors, and detectors.
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby A Random Player » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Photons would be cool. Though we wouldn't want to interfere with the people who already beat the game, maybe we could put it in as an "New Mechanics pack" or something.

Edit: How would we see the photons though, they're what we use to see?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

19683
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby 19683 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 pm

A Random Player wrote:Photons would be cool. Though we wouldn't want to interfere with the people who already beat the game, maybe we could put it in as an "New Mechanics pack" or something.

Edit: How would we see the photons though, they're what we use to see?

They could be "special" photons (not in the visible spectrum) to activate detectors.

You would still "see" the level normally.
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))

User avatar
testtubegames
Site Admin
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby testtubegames » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Maybe something like a 'photonic roar'... where the raptor releases a spherical (ahem, circular) wavefront of light. You can see the waves propagate away from you on the screen. Other objects could release such waves, too. It would certainly be a nice extension to the Doppler Shift discussion.

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby A Random Player » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 pm

testtubegames wrote:Maybe something like a 'photonic roar'... where the raptor releases a spherical (ahem, circular) wavefront of light. You can see the waves propagate away from you on the screen. Other objects could release such waves, too. It would certainly be a nice extension to the Doppler Shift discussion.

You could make them echo, but I don't see any relativistic point of that right now.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

User avatar
testtubegames
Site Admin
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby testtubegames » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:13 pm

Well, maybe instead of echoing, the waves could activate other beacons they encounter, making them send off a wave, too. You could make some kind of light-clock, then... and that might lead to some interested game mechanics if you make beacons switches. You want your roar to reach Beacon A (which opens a gate) before it reaches Beacon B (which opens a buncha trap doors)

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby A Random Player » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 pm

testtubegames wrote:Well, maybe instead of echoing, the waves could activate other beacons they encounter, making them send off a wave, too. You could make some kind of light-clock, then... and that might lead to some interested game mechanics if you make beacons switches. You want your roar to reach Beacon A (which opens a gate) before it reaches Beacon B (which opens a buncha trap doors)

Interesting..
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

19683
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby 19683 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:19 pm

A Random Player wrote:
testtubegames wrote:Maybe something like a 'photonic roar'... where the raptor releases a spherical (ahem, circular) wavefront of light. You can see the waves propagate away from you on the screen. Other objects could release such waves, too. It would certainly be a nice extension to the Doppler Shift discussion.

You could make them echo, but I don't see any relativistic point of that right now.

If you could switch reference frames, you would see that the wavefront would always move at 3 mph (c) in your frame of reference, regardless of the source.

If there was a level creator with photons, mirrors, clocks, rulers, and moving parts, you could recreate Einstein's thought experiments and verify his two postulates (principle of relativity, and constancy of c).
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))

User avatar
testtubegames
Site Admin
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: New Levels

Postby testtubegames » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:57 pm

It's almost like we're talking about a different game (which isn't a bad thing!). Kind of like a (very,very basic) incredible machine (or incredibots, which you guys just introduced me to). You put in components and see what happens in the relativistic world. That could lead to some interesting puzzles.


Return to “Velocity Raptor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest