So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in JS

What did you draw?
User avatar
wtg62
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Texas, United States

So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in JS

Postby wtg62 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:26 pm

Here I am, and I made a super limited version of his sim:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/556 ... avsim.html

(aside from having learned gravity laws from Andy's game, this was actually coded mostly from scratch)

Current Features:
- Gravity, with the r⁻² law
- Create/fling planets, with a 10 second long, accurate prediction. All planets manually created have a mass of 3.2 & a density of 1.
- Prediction will show if the planet you flung impacts anything (and whether or not it disappears/gains mass)
- Center of Mass is shown with a purple circle
- A button at the bottom will take the camera to the center of mass
- The screen can be rotated!
Last edited by wtg62 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby A Random Player » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Awesome that you coded it from scratch! You could totally add some simple additions to this (ex. Fling, set speed, move camera, etc) easily. If anyone wants to see what happens to the setup later, just put this into your console:

Code: Select all

var i;
i = 0; while(i<4) { planets[i].vx *= 10; planets[i].vy *= 10; planets[i].tug = function(planet,law)
            {
               var relDX = this.x-planet.x;
               var relDY = this.y-planet.y;
               var relD = Math.sqrt(Math.pow(relDX,2)+Math.pow(relDY,2));
               var relTheta = Math.atan2(relDY,relDX);
               
               planet.thrust2(100*Math.pow(relD,-2)*this.mass,relTheta);
            }; i+= 1; }

(It modifies the tug function to make it 100 times stronger. I don't use JS much, but this worked for me and I'm happy with it :P)

Speaking of tug: When implementing the standard Newtonian gravity, you don't actually need to compute angle, sin, and cos. If you know the displacements dx and dy, you can do this:

Code: Select all

d = sqrt(dx^2+dy^2)
vx += timestep * dx / d^3
vy += timestep * dy / d^3

But the way you did it allows for more general functions. (You might be able to connect this to your function plotter, and have custom forces!)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

User avatar
wtg62
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Texas, United States

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby wtg62 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:43 pm

I could definitely add flinging, but I don't know how I would predict the trajectory.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby A Random Player » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:16 pm

wtg62 wrote:I could definitely add flinging, but I don't know how I would predict the trajectory.

Andy's sim works by essentially fixing the objects for the time being, and computing the results of forces on the new object. A simple O(n) solution, but it doesn't take into account any motion and the effect of adding the object.

What I'd do is make a copy of the planet list, add the new object, and simulate the copy for a certain time, tracking the new object. This is O(n^2), though, and might be a bit hard to implement. Additionally, adding multiple objects would mean increased complexity. (The original simulator just stopped displaying predictions when you pressed x.)
You could, of course, try GSim's method, which doesn't require any copying. For each object in the list, simulate its pull on the new object, and track it.
Or you could add a line showing which way the object will move (show the first derivative of motion). Con: This shows almost nothing about the future path.
Or just have no prediction.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

User avatar
wtg62
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Texas, United States

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby wtg62 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:24 am

I think what I am going to do is just pause time as you are flinging something (thus making calculations and implementation a whole lot easier) and then go with what you said. Once the planet is flung, the sim continues.

Edit:
Okay, I've updated the file and added this feature. Predictions aren't amazingly efficient, but they are very accurate!
Right now you can only fling a planet with a mass of 32, with the color "#fff" and with a density of 1, though.

In the prediction trajectory, if you see an orange circle, that represents a future impact that will result in the planet you flung disappearing.
I think later on when I add the ability to change the size of the planet you're creating, I'll have a different circle that represents an impact that doesn't result in the planet you flung disappearing.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!

User avatar
wtg62
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Texas, United States

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby wtg62 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 am

I'm going to attempt to see if I can implement the Barnes-Hut algorithm, to speed things up.
Really simple and interesting algorithm too! Haha.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!

User avatar
testtubegames
Site Admin
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby testtubegames » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Yikes! You're on my tail, wtg!

Very well made -- and works great. I missed the first iteration of it, but with the additions it works quite smoothly. (And even as I reload it, I noticed another change! Wow! Go wtg. The new rotation is a nice addition.)

I noticed a little bug -- when you are flinging planets, they occasionally launch not at the place you put them, but where your mouse currently is. (After you've pulled back to fling.) I took a peek in the code, and it looks like it probably stems from you prediction code lagging the game a bit... and the loop that checks for whether the planet is flung doesn't trigger until it's too late and the cx, cy values have been reset. (Or some such thing.)

Also, kudos to you for trying to speed up the sim. I learned a whole bunch from trying to do that, myself. Barnes Hut is a good tool, too, and fits well with your quest to understand all the cool algorithms out there :)

Though, I imagine you could do some optimizing with the code you already have and make great strides. (As Random noted, you can avoid Sin/Cos calls, and that kind of thing.)

I'm jealous of your prediction lines... way better than mine, since they take into account the actual future. The downside of course is the lag, but it sure is neat to be able to know how your new planet will interact with the current ones in the distant future.

User avatar
wtg62
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 pm
Location: Texas, United States

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby wtg62 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Going to say this first so you'll notice it:
If there's anything I need help with, it's figuring out how exactly I should modify the velocity of a planet after it merges with another.

It's things like this that make me wish that we still used our IRC channel, haha.
But, then again, I use steam for chatting much more than IRC :P

testtubegames wrote:Yikes! You're on my tail, wtg!

Very well made -- and works great. I missed the first iteration of it, but with the additions it works quite smoothly. (And even as I reload it, I noticed another change! Wow! Go wtg. The new rotation is a nice addition.)

Thanks! Maybe I'll add a grid too.

testtubegames wrote:I noticed a little bug -- when you are flinging planets, they occasionally launch not at the place you put them, but where your mouse currently is. (After you've pulled back to fling.) I took a peek in the code, and it looks like it probably stems from you prediction code lagging the game a bit... and the loop that checks for whether the planet is flung doesn't trigger until it's too late and the cx, cy values have been reset. (Or some such thing.)

Yeah, that's definitely lag.
Sadly there isn't too much I can do besides keep them in the same loop, would have to find some way to do that.

testtubegames wrote:Also, kudos to you for trying to speed up the sim. I learned a whole bunch from trying to do that, myself. Barnes Hut is a good tool, too, and fits well with your quest to understand all the cool algorithms out there :)

Haven't done it yet, but I am working on a separate program to test out the Barnes-Hut algorithm (no physics, just the creation of the tree).

testtubegames wrote:I'm jealous of your prediction lines... way better than mine, since they take into account the actual future. The downside of course is the lag, but it sure is neat to be able to know how your new planet will interact with the current ones in the distant future.

If you're willing to sacrifice performance or the ability to see the prediction as you are flinging the planet, you could definitely have the accurate predictions I have! But hey, your predictions are adequate for the most part.

All I really did was copy the array containing all the planets, and simulate them for whatever amount of time.
Sadly, this is super-duper inefficient! :(

testtubegames wrote:Though, I imagine you could do some optimizing with the code you already have and make great strides. (As Random noted, you can avoid Sin/Cos calls, and that kind of thing.)

If I wanted to make anything big, I'd definitely rewrite the whole thing, and I'd definitely like to try to make something much more usable.
I can probably only avoid calls to trig functions if the law is r^-2, and I do plan on adding other laws eventually.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!

User avatar
testtubegames
Site Admin
Posts: 1007
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby testtubegames » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 am

wtg62 wrote:Going to say this first so you'll notice it:
If there's anything I need help with, it's figuring out how exactly I should modify the velocity of a planet after it merges with another.

For merging, you just need to worry about (a) Conservation of Mass, and (b) Conservation of Momentum (mass*velocity). So make sure the new planet has the sum of the old masses (which I imagine you're already doing). And then sum up the momenta before, and use that to figure out the momentum (and thus velocity) afterwards.
wtg62 wrote:I can probably only avoid calls to trig functions if the law is r^-2, and I do plan on adding other laws eventually.

Actually, you can avoid trig functions entirely. In GSim, the only time it would calculate a trig function is if you use one in the force law itself.

A Random Player
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: So I tried to see if I could do something like GSim in J

Postby A Random Player » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:19 pm

testtubegames wrote:
wtg62 wrote:I can probably only avoid calls to trig functions if the law is r^-2, and I do plan on adding other laws eventually.

Actually, you can avoid trig functions entirely. In GSim, the only time it would calculate a trig function is if you use one in the force law itself.

True! You just need to remember that cos = x/d, and sin = y/d (soh-cah-toa anyone?), and replace it. So in general,
vx += x / d * f(d)
vy += y / d * f(d) Also Andy has a tweet's characters more than twice my post count - 828 vs 484. Also the digits are all powers of 2, and mine is 22^2!
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!


Return to “Gravity Simulator”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest