The Electric Shocktopus is Here!
The long national nightmare is over: The Electric Shocktopus is out.
Our hero, the titular Shocktopus, is out for revenge against the Magnetic Yeti. It's a dangerous world, though, but our little Cephalopod has a trick up one of his eight sleeves: he can change his electric charge at will. Zoom across electric fields, twist through magnets, and use conductors to bend the world to your will.
Never has the Right-Hand-Rule involved so many tentacles.
Buy now with the Humble Widget:
Download and Play!
Available on Mac, PC, and Linux. Play it at the beach! Play it on the *moon*! ...as long as you have your Mac or PC with you. (I assume you take those everywhere?)
The game is based on the actual physics of Electromagnetism -- which means you'll be an expert in the topic by the end. Or, well, you'll have beaten a game. And isn't that enough?
Want to know more about the physics behind the game? Go here to check out some deeper explanations of what’s going on.
- Accurate Physics from a pedant you can trust
- Electric charges that attract and repel you
- Magnetic fields that cause you to spin according to Lorentz Forces
- Conductors that warp electric fields, calculated using the Relaxation Method
- Electric currents that lead to magnetic fields, via the Biot-Savart Law
- 44 Levels of fun! Plus one level of pure torture.
- A Level Editor so you can make all your own levels, or do your own physics experiments.
- A whole bunch of spikes and missiles.
- The game comes with a virtual Voltmeter and electric field meter.
- One more opportunity not to learn the Right Hand Rule!
The Electric Shocktopus is *nearly* out of Beta! Version 0.9 brings a lot of small bug fixes, as well as a sleek new Voltmeter. Learn more about this update with the full Release Notes. If you find any bugs in the game, let me know, or join the chat in the TestTubeGames forums.
The Electric Shocktopus was designed and created by Andy Hall of TestTubeGames. The music was made by Brian Allen Holmes, and the SFX were handcrafted by Kevin Notar.
Press Kit and Screenshots
Grab some screenshots, or learn more about the story of the game by going to our presskit(). Or you can always email me, andy, at this website's domain.