I made a game!

A spot for all things TestTube
exfret

Re: I made a game!

Post by exfret »

Are you going to add on to your connect4 game? Also, why are you using python? Is it just the language you know?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Currently not planning on doing much to the connect4 game. As for why I use python, it's the language I, as of right now, know the best. However, I am planning on learning C++.
Sadly, I have tried climbing the metaphorical wall a few times, but was every time kicked back down due to technical issues. First, I couldn't install libraries, so I came back to python. Then I installed the library I wanted, but now I keep being bombarded with SIGSEVs, even when copying code character by character from other sources which claim to work. So now I'm sticking with python until I manage to get rid of those pesky errors.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:Currently not planning on doing much to the connect4 game. As for why I use python, it's the language I, as of right now, know the best. However, I am planning on learning C++.
Sadly, I have tried climbing the metaphorical wall a few times, but was every time kicked back down due to technical issues. First, I couldn't install libraries, so I came back to python. Then I installed the library I wanted, but now I keep being bombarded with SIGSEVs, even when copying code character by character from other sources which claim to work. So now I'm sticking with python until I manage to get rid of those pesky errors.
I know BlitzBasic, which I believe is an outdated language (it's at least not still officially downloadable), and I know java. In fact, I can use java for minecraft modding. ;) The reason I know BlitzBasic is because it's, well, basic, so it was the first programming language I learned.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:Woo! Guess what I made now!

Spoiler alert: it involves plagrism.

That's right, a gravity simulator!
Damn, I forgot to copyright gravity. You got me this time, robly!

Seriously, though, this I've gotta see. Unfortunately, wasn't able to get the chance to load either on a pc last week. Hrm. Gonna see what magic I can work to play this on my mac...
exfret

Post by exfret »

It's more like plagiarizing the whole web. There're tons of other gravity simulators beside Andy's.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:It's more like plagiarizing the whole web. There're tons of other gravity simulators beside Andy's.
And we each get a penny in royalties every time something falls.
exfret

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:
exfret wrote:It's more like plagiarizing the whole web. There're tons of other gravity simulators beside Andy's.
?
robly18

Post by robly18 »

exfret wrote:
testtubegames wrote:
?
He copyrighted gravity.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

Ooh, he copyrighted the concept of gravity. Well, I copyright the concept of simulators! Oh, and copyrights. And money. Muahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! :twisted:
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Ooh, finally got it up and running (I updated the version of Wine that I was running... an ok but buggy program for running windows files on a Mac)

Connect 4 - Nice! This game works quite well -- I only found one bug. The game says you 'win' even if a chip is just falling through (and would be going past) a winning position. So make sure it's only checking for wins once the chips have settled.

Gravity - Cool -- this is a pretty complex little sim... congrats for all the progress you've made in coding. I like the retro graphics, too (reminds me of way back when I was growing up, and all games had graphics based off text). How far are you taking this one? Will I eventually be able to add planets?