I made a game!

A spot for all things TestTube
A Random Player

Re: I made a game!

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:I concur: it does pay off.
Already made a basic program that computes whether a number is prime or not... With a few exceptions. Notably, it considers 1 and 0 to be prime. Which I will be fixing.
Until the quick patch though, enjoy my first, independently made program: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1ofx5 ... ation1.exe
I must say: visual basic, unlike python and C++, and basically every language I've worked with, appears to have pretty notable focus towards being presentable.
Because, well, I can't say a command line is exactly the kind of window you like to see in your programs.
I'm still far, far away from doing something like what ARP is doing. I'll sure as heck strive to do so, though!

EDIT: Still ain't fixed that. It's low priority anyway, so I figured I'd try something else.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7023b ... plication2
A sort of calculator, with which you can add, multiply or (for the lack of a better word) exponentiate any two numbers.
Your first program appears to crash when I try to type something in the textbox. It doesn't show the standard unhandled exception box, just freezes and disappears.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Huh? That's odd. I'll look into it.
EDIT: After testing and asking two friends, none of them had any issues. I honestly have no clue what's going on here. Is the other one working though?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

I got a windows popup saying "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application." (Title is "WindowsApplication2.exe - .NET framework initialization error")
Edit: Now it loads, but freezes and closes upon typing anything.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Neat! I'm now using the robly calculator for all my multiplication needs (when my slide rule is across the room, that is)
A Random Player

Ok, after testing again it seems I can click buttons (causing the Error: Complain to Rob, nice error catching btw!), but typing causes it to crash. I think it may be my anti-virus, but don't want to disable it just yet.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Downloaded the prime number one, and it's working for me. How did you do the calculations, robly? Is it pulling from a list of primes, or are you checking if numbers are prime on the fly?

(My guess is it's the former, since when I try to pick too high a number, it throws an error)

..and for the record, the jury is still out on whether 'banana' is a prime number.
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:Downloaded the prime number one, and it's working for me. How did you do the calculations, robly? Is it pulling from a list of primes, or are you checking if numbers are prime on the fly?

(My guess is it's the former, since when I try to pick too high a number, it throws an error)

..and for the record, the jury is still out on whether 'banana' is a prime number.
Nah, it actually checks if the number is prime on the fly.
The error is probably due to stack overflows and such. I need to see if this language has any equivalents to long ints
A Random Player

robly18 wrote:
testtubegames wrote:Downloaded the prime number one, and it's working for me. How did you do the calculations, robly? Is it pulling from a list of primes, or are you checking if numbers are prime on the fly?

Nah, it actually checks if the number is prime on the fly.
The error is probably due to stack overflows and such. I need to see if this language has any equivalents to long ints
Try using a long or a double.
exfret

Post by exfret »

I'm also sure there's a way to make a number into two numbers for calculating. You could use the result of modular division on one with the other to see if the number they make is prime.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Somehow, I feel like I'm blazing through languages without actually bothering to learn them much. Then again, my main goal was C++ really, mostly because its commonness allows me to turn it straight into an exe without needing to do any crazy shenanigans and it's so commonplace, libraries for it are common. I mean, I want to one day be able to join one of those game jams where people try to make their games smaller than 4MB or what have you. Can't do that with python because the process to make it into an exe makes it way bigger, and I don't think visual basic is really cut out for games: seems like it's more focused on simple UIs.
Speaking of which, I've been working on basic C++. Here's what I got so far: http://www.mediafire.com/download/htkzi ... on1(2).exe
For those of you with a mac, I can only turn this into an exe. Sorry! If you've any way to compile code into... whatever mac's equivalent of one is, using visual studio, do let me know.