Corn Maze

A Slide Rule, a Sundial, and a Physicist walk into a bar
A Random Player

Corn Maze

Post by A Random Player »

So.. I'm getting that FtK seems to do better in mazes with loops, which turn left may get stuck on, but for loopless mazes, Turn Left works better. Is everyone else getting the same?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

Re: Corn Maze

Post by 19683 »

A Random Player wrote:So.. I'm getting that FtK seems to do better in mazes with loops, which turn left may get stuck on, but for loopless mazes, Turn Left works better. Is everyone else getting the same?
Yes, I did notice that!

Also I have a suscpision that FtK may have trouble with loops. Can someone test this?
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

19683 wrote:
A Random Player wrote:So.. I'm getting that FtK seems to do better in mazes with loops, which turn left may get stuck on, but for loopless mazes, Turn Left works better. Is everyone else getting the same?
Yes, I did notice that!

Also I have a suscpision that FtK may have trouble with loops. Can someone test this?
I don't notice it much, though FtK sometimes gets confused in loops, when there are about equal numbers of people going both ways.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Yup, that sounds about right. Turn left overall wins in a simple, loop-less maze. But it can really trap you in a rut when there are loops. FtK helps you out regardless of loops.

As a bit of background, this simulation was a test of my idea for FtK. I was going around a huge (and well attended) corn maze that had tons of bridges and loops, and so you can't just rely on 'always going left'. Also, it was a gorgeous day, and I was there with friends... and the last thing I wanted to do is be 'that guy' who insists on always going the same direction. So I tried to think of a rule of thumb that's a bit less monotonous. (And one you can use whenever you feel like it, instead of the left-turn rule, which you can't break)
exfret

Re: Upgrade Corn Maze?

Post by exfret »

I don't care that much, but I just wanted to add that it would be helpful to adjust the size of the maze maze more than just "large" and "small" options, and it would be nice to have a build-your-own maze option and something that repeated what just happened so that the random generator doesn't get in your way of seeing something again. Also, it would be nice to be able to adjust the number of people in the maze, chance of a FtK maze-goer walking the other way, the chance a GO-LEFT!!! Maze-goer will turn left, and the number of red-dot-abducting alien crop circles that are in the maze.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:...and the number of red-dot-abducting alien crop circles that are in the maze.
Nice suggestions - and got me thinking about a project that's been out of my mind for a while. I'm not sure if I'll ever really do much more with the corn maze - unless people have a strong interest in improvements.

Your last suggestion did make me start thinking about gruesome twists to the sim. Bottomless pits that trap people forever. Monsters roaming the maze. Could rebrand it as the 'Minotaur Maze Simulator' :)
exfret

Re: Corn Maze Interest

Post by exfret »

Yeah, I didn't really have much interest in it. I just wanted to place the suggestions out there.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):