Bond Breaker

A game made with the scientists at the CaSTL research center
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Bond Breaker

Post by testtubegames »

I uploaded a new version of Bond Breaker -- same place as before. New levels, new instructions, Muons that fuse atoms together, Nano-Spheres, etc. Give it a play and let me know what you like/hate/have suggestion about. Thanks as always, folks!
exfret wrote:I mean, it would be nice to have something other than a move-the-thing-that-you-control-around-the-level-with-your-arrow-keys-to-get-to-the-goal-while-avoiding-obstacles-and-doing-stuff-to-open-doors-or-something-game.
I appreciate the feedback there. That question of 'the-best-way-to-showcase-a-topic' is one I have to think about often. Looking back (Gravity Sim, Velocity Raptor, Agent Higgs, Shocktopus, Bond Breaker), in all but Agent Higgs, each of my previous games has had some 2D physics simulation as its core. And I've found that the simulation-side of things seem to really resonate with people. The game is accurate enough that you feel like you're really interacting with the subject matter -- and you can do (you all really have done) experiments with the underlying science, taking the game as deep into the physics as you want.

In Agent Higgs, of course, the connection between the game and the physics is a bit looser. And I think that works well for that subject matter -- 'patterns of particle properties' screams out for a puzzle game.

When I was thinking about a molecular bond game, the the thing that gripped my imagination was a game where inter-atomic forces are accurately calculated. Where you could move and tug and be tugged by other atoms. And where you had to make and break bonds using light/electrons. That led me down the path to a top-down, move-the-character style game. The rest of the game fell into place after that nugget was there. Are there other equally valid - and possibly more awesome ways to show off the subject? I'm sure! Ideas always welcome :)
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I do have to agree partly with exfret: this a bit of an overused genre. However, it does seem to fit what you're trying to come up with quite well.

As a side, partly unrelated note: if you ever need any ideas for mechanics for games, I've always liked the sort of games where you kind of "program" an artificial intelligence to solve the level for you. A neat example of this is spacechem, which is a game I think you might like, despite not being the most scientifically accurate game out there. Let me try to get you a link:

http://www.spacechemthegame.com/

Give the demo a shot.
It's actually a game that helped me a lot to ease into coding even without me not realizing it, because it goes through many of the coding basics of loops and such.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

testtubegames wrote:I uploaded a new version of Bond Breaker -- same place as before. New levels, new instructions, Muons that fuse atoms together, Nano-Spheres, etc. Give it a play and let me know what you like/hate/have suggestion about. Thanks as always, folks!
This is like my birthday, it's (basically) a new game!
I can't get back up the tunnel on level 5 after getting the electron though. Will edit later
Edit: Level 23 doesn't need the nanospheres to pass, just push proton with H2 (0+)
Edit: 27 took me way too many tries (that bottom electron cannon).
Edit: K, finished. This was awesome! "I made helium! Helium!"
Last edited by A Random Player on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:This is like my birthday, it's (basically) a new game!
When it rains, it pours, right? Gravity Sim download posted, new Bond Breaker, and new levels of Agent Hi- err, I mean... nothing. Nothing at all.
exfret

Post by exfret »

So, running, or walking?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:So, running, or walking?
Ha! Took me longer than it should'a to get that :)

Edit:
Random - thanks for the feedback there. Yeah, you found a couple bugs and one particularly tricky level. I fixed 'em all, so levels 5, 23, and 27 should work better now. (In 5, I changed the hitbox of the hydrogen atom, but forgot that it affected early levels... in 23 the proton should have been attracting, not repelling, whoops... and in 27 I gave you a bit more wiggle-room)
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Little problem now: you can bypass the long way around on level 4 by hugging the top of the path. (Tested to 18 or so)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Little problem now: you can bypass the long way around on level 4 by hugging the top of the path. (Tested to 18 or so)
Yeah, I saw that last week when I showed off the game at a festival. People would try to go that way, fail a few times... I'd say: "seems like you gotta go the long way"

Most of the time they would. But a couple people found this shortcut. Apparently including you! I must have tweaked the force laws slightly or something, because that used to be impossible (at least to me?).

Still deciding whether to leave it in or not. Some shortcuts are kinda fun, but this seems a bit too early and drastic.
exfret

Post by exfret »

I seem to be able to move through spikes when the level first starts out...
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Why you demon, you!

Yeah, there's a problem in there with the tweening. Until the object settles into place (after popping onto the screen), hitboxes are really messed up for some reason. I'll add it to the list.

Also, I'm going to be doing some more work on this game in the upcoming few months (slow, and steady work), so if people have other ideas to make the game rad, don't hold back.