Bond Breaker

A game made with the scientists at the CaSTL research center
exfret

Hyperbowa wand?

Post by exfret »

What about hyperbowa wand? It's okay if you're not doing it, I just thought it would be really awesome if you did do it. I'm not going to be disappointed if you don't do it, or if you put it on the to-do list.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Hyperbowa wand?

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:What about hyperbowa wand? It's okay if you're not doing it, I just thought it would be really awesome if you did do it. I'm not going to be disappointed if you don't do it, or if you put it on the to-do list.
It's not sitting in the near future at the moment. Still have to release Shocktopus (working on that... thinking of ways to skip sponsorship entirely), finish up Gravity, and add the quark levels to Higgs. And Bond Breaker here, of course. As for the project that comes after all that, it's not going to get written in stone any time soon. I do have some ideas I'd *really* love to try out with a Flatland game... a more narrative driven game, for instance. I'm hoping I can test that one out in a game jam sometime soon, at the very least.
exfret

Re: Bond Breaker

Post by exfret »

Okay. I don't want to be pushy in any way about what you do. A more narrative game seems great. Also, I'm really wondering why shocktopus hasn't gotten any sponsors yet. I mean, it's an awesome game even without the science stuff. Why isn't anyone taking a look at it?
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Apparently there's been a major (unuploaded) update to BB:
https://twitter.com/TestTubeGames/statu ... 8810861568
https://twitter.com/TestTubeGames/statu ... 5106420736
Any thoughts? I don't like it that much, since the pseudo-3d-ness makes it harder to see when something will hit (maybe add a switch to 2d view?). Also, the tiles have been reduced in number, making for an effectively smaller screen. However, this might be in preparation for a later update, which would make it awesome.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:Apparently there's been a major (unuploaded) update to BB:
https://twitter.com/TestTubeGames/statu ... 8810861568
https://twitter.com/TestTubeGames/statu ... 5106420736
Any thoughts? I don't like it that much, since the pseudo-3d-ness makes it harder to see when something will hit (maybe add a switch to 2d view?). Also, the tiles have been reduced in number, making for an effectively smaller screen. However, this might be in preparation for a later update, which would make it awesome.
Yeah, those are just some drawings I made today, they aren't incorporated into the game yet. The tiles will indeed be smaller on the screen, like before. The big change, really, is to try to make the images pop a bit more than before, by making them a bit more cartoon-y.

As far as the 3D goes, I'm on the fence about it, too. I like how it make the game *look*, but it may not necessarily work with the gameplay. So I might have to tilt things back. (But, man, spikes that shoot *up* from the ground look so cool!)
exfret

Post by exfret »

Well, I like the look, and I think maybe a warning that the atom's about to hit a spike would solve your problem, ARP. You could just make it sweat or do something more physics-y. A non-dying game might be good, too. Spikes are a bit overused.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Well, here's a slightly modified version based on that feedback. I removed most of the tilt from the screen -- and for the spikes, I kept the same image, but drew in their tiles, so you can clearly see *where* the spike is. I hope!

I also shrunk the tiles a wee bit so they'd be more representative of what they'll look like in the game... and added in some switches so the level didn't look so empty :) Thoughts?
FakeLevel2.png
FakeLevel2.png (115.47 KiB) Viewed 29364 times
exfret

Post by exfret »

Eh, it looks a little bland. I was hoping you could use the graphics in some way to differentiate it from most 'walk around' games. Is there anything you could do to make it less cliché?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Eh, it looks a little bland. I was hoping you could use the graphics in some way to differentiate it from most 'walk around' games. Is there anything you could do to make it less cliché?
So by bland do you mean that the colors & images need to 'pop' more and be more exciting? Or is the problem really about the cliché-side-of-things (spikes, stars, buttons, etc)? Or both?
exfret

Post by exfret »

I'm getting a little tired of the cliché, but I really liked how things popped before, that's what I meant, so both I guess. Maybe you could have a view option to toggle between '2D' and '3D'? I'm okay if you just keep it '2D' though.