Bond Breaker 2.0

A game made with the scientists at the CaSTL research center
testtubegames
Site Admin

Bond Breaker 2.0

Post by testtubegames »

One of the projects I've been working on (for those of you keeping track) is continuing work on Bond Breaker. Namely, we're interested in making improvements, adding new mechanics and science, etc.

I've posted the latest build of the prototype online here.

Still a work in progress, with some features needing improvement. But should work enough to be fun. One big change is that there are two tracks of levels now... "Basic" for any and all players, so even kiddies can get to much of the science... and "Challenge" for those who want more hard puzzles.

Also, now there's Oxygen!

Wooooo....
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 9.18.48 AM copy.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 9.18.48 AM copy.png (277.75 KiB) Viewed 63240 times
Any and all feedback, as always, welcome. What do you (a) hate, (b) want fixed, (c) want added, (d) hope and dream?
wtg62

Re: Bond Breaker 2.0

Post by wtg62 »

Cool stuff! But I'm noticing SFX are way softer than the music. Perhaps add a separate volume controller for music and sounds?
Also, what happened to the electrons orbiting the protons? I dunno why, but it made it molecules look cooler. :P

Some levels also seem unbeatable, like #22, #28, and #30. Maybe I'm wrong.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Are the oxygen atoms supposed to be red? Or is that just a placeholder? I haven't had the time to play through it, so I don't know if there's any reason.
Edit: After watching the trailer, I see that components (especially the new ones) now have varying colors, so the oxygen is supposed to be red.

Peeking at the game, it seems that (at least on Chrome, with the linked WebGL version), the game lags quite a lot (and also affects the other windows, like in TES).
BB 2.0 visual.png
BB 2.0 visual.png (20.06 KiB) Viewed 60410 times
(This is level 3.)
Small issues I just noticed: In the wall, there's a small pixel or 2 offset; also, shouldn't the proton appear under (ie. behind) the button-controlled tiles?

(Also, level 1 is called Filter 2?)

Edit: Also, Find Neat Levels doesn't open a new tab, so I had to reload the game.
Seems like there's an issue with the editor: Control-V'ing the level code into the box just clear it; you need to click paste and use the message box. Probably just an artifact of WebGL though. (and loading level codes takes a while?)
Will likely note some more things later.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

New build up with many of these fixes, and other changes, to boot.
wtg62 wrote:SFX are way softer than the music... Also, what happened to the electrons orbiting the protons?
Thanks, sfx fixed. And we've locked the electrons in place in molecules to better represent where they tend to live. (The scientists wanted them more *in between*, which makes sense). In atoms, though, they are still free to cycle around.
wtg62 wrote:Some levels also seem unbeatable, like #22, #28, and #30. Maybe I'm wrong.
Those three are in fact beatable... but I think that points out some confusion in the mechanics. Those yellow star-boxes -- the star appears behind the final one. So you have to pick which set of boxes to get rid of first. Sounds like I might need to make that clearer.
A Random Player wrote:Peeking at the game, it seems that (at least on Chrome, with the linked WebGL version), the game lags quite a lot (and also affects the other windows, like in TES)...
I'll keep tweaking things to make it better. It might be a bit faster now? Still, I imagine WebGL is going to be kinda a hog.

Wall offset fixed, as is the over-under issue. Fixed Filter 2 (ha), and still figuring out how to fix the Find New Levels issue in WebGL.
Control V issue is fixed now (man, WebGL is weird).

Thanks for the feedback so far!
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Some weird lines in the introduction:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Intro lines.png
Intro lines.png (340.02 KiB) Viewed 60373 times
The electrons don't orbit around the correct point, either.

Also, the magnification display feels a bit weird (instead of constantly decreasing/increasing, digits randomize until they are fixed, which happens from left to right).

(Of course, this is on the WebGL/browser version - it might not occur on the mobile versions)

Edit: Tapping the star of wisdom does nothing? The "Tap to learn more" only appears after all the text is displayed, which happens automatically when you win the level.

Edit: That star on level 26. Haha

Edit: Oxygen: Red, just cause.

Edit: I believe the "friction" of the "ground" has increased a bit; However, I've still managed to beat Football Goalpost.
Edit: Haha, The Poolest Level is still possible, but that's all I'm going to say. (Love Story hasn't been affected much.)
Edit: A-maze-ing:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
I believe the anisotropy of two muon atoms' formation has been fixed, which means that the level is impossible? Or is there another way that I'm not seeing?
Also related to Lottery:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
This is comically easy now. The "random" atoms rarely even move now(I believe they only move when two electrons are emitted twice (though I may have seen it happen with e/e and e/μ?)).
Edit: Somehow after completing Lottery, I was able to move on to Mirror (Challenge level 47), but going back to the challenge menu, the level is still locked.
Edit: Challenge level 39 (Alchemist) was really fun :D
Edit: Rube (unofficial) is... not working :P
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Wow, there's some serious optimization. The game is super smooth now.
I can't seem to play in windowed without parts of the screen getting cut off though.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Woo - moved Bond Breaker 2.0 to be live on the website.

Fixes from the above posts:
-Expanding the game window now shouldn't make parts get cut off
-Weird lines in intro fixed
-Magnification counter made to simply *increase* instead of just having random numbers
-Tapping star of wisdom works even before text appears
-Aww... Some levels are impossible now, as you note. :( I went through the server levels and (a) kept the ones that still work, (b) fixed the ones I could, and (c) cut the ones I couldn't
-Lottery, for instance, I moved the switch so now at least there's a 50/50 chance of the hard version?
-Fixed the bug where you made it to challenge lvl 47
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Clicking "more" after beating all the levels on the WebGL version results in an exception error for me.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Clicking "more" after beating all the levels on the WebGL version results in an exception error for me.
That should be fixed now (not that it's the type of thing you'd personally run into again... so I guess you'll just have to believe me :) )
TerryLewis

Post by TerryLewis »

testtubegames wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:32 pm Woo - moved Bond Breaker 2.0 to be live on the_website.

Fixes from the above posts:
-Expanding the game window now shouldn't make parts get cut off
-Weird lines in intro fixed
-Magnification counter made to simply *increase* instead of just having random numbers
-Tapping star of wisdom works even before text appears
-Aww... Some levels are impossible now, as you note. :( I went through the server levels and (a) kept the ones that still work, (b) fixed the ones I could, and (c) cut the ones I couldn't
-Lottery, for instance, I moved the switch so now at least there's a 50/50 chance of the hard version?
-Fixed the bug where you made it to challenge lvl 47
Hello,

Where can I find the tutorials or lessons? I just told my cousin about the game and he's planning to install it on his Android, but he's no idea where to start from. He's a chemist, and I assume he'll like it too. I find it very educative and exciting for any enthusiast.

Thanks,
Terry