Suggestions

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:My sister had a really good suggestion: when you're pressing up, could you jump when you touch the ground again instead of just having to press up again?
Nice suggestion. I had it that way once... and from a suggestion someone gave me I switched it.

Now looking back on it... I kinda liked it the old way. Less touchy.

So I'm taking your sister's advice -- the new version has 'up' make you jump, even if you're just holding it down. We'll see if people like it.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Having all this new 'up' stuff makes my brain think 'up' should also make you wall jump... I don't know if this would be a good addition, but for some reason it started seeming intuitive after I could just hold it down to jump. (Whatever you do, though, don't change the 'pressing away makes you wall jump').
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Having all this new 'up' stuff makes my brain think 'up' should also make you wall jump... I don't know if this would be a good addition, but for some reason it started seeming intuitive after I could just hold it down to jump. (Whatever you do, though, don't change the 'pressing away makes you wall jump').
Hmm... We could definitely try making 'up' wall jump. But then I'd probably want to get rid of 'away'. One thing I've noticed watching new users play the game is that if there is more than one combo of keys to do wall jump... they get very, very confused. "Hey, why did that happen? What... I can press either... I'm so confused"

And it makes sense. The controls for the game are complex enough since we're throwing 'charge' into the mix.
MishaTheMighty

Post by MishaTheMighty »

I think it would be better if both methods would be usable as they have different advantages. "Away" method is good when you want to stick to a wall for a while, you just release one of keys you're holding during constant jumping. "Up" method doesn't have this feature but it's handy when you want to jump using a wall and a block in a short time, especially if the block is further away than wall jump range (so you have to release the "left" key if it's on the right).

I don't feel like it's confusing when you can do one thing in a couple of ways. What's more, every method of wall jumping can be introduced in a different situation. I guess level 14 is a good opportunity to say something like " 'Up' always means 'jump', you know?".
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

MishaTheMighty wrote:I think it would be better if both methods would be usable as they have different advantages. "Away" method is good when you want to stick to a wall for a while, you just release one of keys you're holding during constant jumping. "Up" method doesn't have this feature but it's handy when you want to jump using a wall and a block in a short time, especially if the block is further away than wall jump range (so you have to release the "left" key if it's on the right).

I don't feel like it's confusing when you can do one thing in a couple of ways. What's more, every method of wall jumping can be introduced in a different situation. I guess level 14 is a good opportunity to say something like " 'Up' always means 'jump', you know?".
Hmm... interesting thoughts on the wall jump controls. In theory, I'm completely on board with the multiple options. What could be bad about having more than one way to do something? It could only make the game easier.

And I actually tried something like this before. Once upon a time both 'towards' and 'up' stuck you to walls. I had the same thought as you... it'll be twice as intuitive. Each will have its uses. But I found out that people would get really confused about it. Because they'd try their way first ('up' , say)... and think that's the only way it worked. Then they'd accidentally press 'towards' and stick, too. Then they'd get really confused about what 'up' meant. And wait, how do I jump again? And at that point they'd get a little finger-tied (like tongue tied, but with your fingers) and take a while to get back into the groove.

So that's the point I realized the importance of sticking with one set of controls. Especially for the average player.

Now, of course, you two have played this game for a fair number of hours... and at this point, the learning curve is less of a concern. If it's something you think would be helpful for really advanced players (playing the really tough levels you've made), then I could try adding it in as an option (that's off by default).
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I agree with it being off by default. If there's something the average player assumes, it's that there is only one way to do something. If there's more than one, then each will have their differences.
For instance, a game where you can crouch with C or ctrl. Except the former toggles, and the latter needs to be held. That sorta thing.
Anyway, how about a way to toggle between up, opposite and both? Default it to whichever one you find more beginner friendly.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

Or... You could have separate controls for jump and wall jump, and you could give the user the ability to make more than one different control do something (like with right or d moving you right). You could also allow users to have the same key do two different things (it can't be that bad, right?). The defaults, of course, would stay as they are now, due to their being most intuitive as they are now.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):