Version .91

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
MishaTheMighty

Re: Version .91

Post by MishaTheMighty »

testtubegames wrote:when you have the page up already, hit reload a couple times
I don't think it can do any better than deleting the cookie.
exfret wrote:[...] but the stars... They should be like Misha's levels.
Wow. Thank you. :lol:
exfret wrote:Text looks kind of ugly and almost excessive
For me, the text was disturbing during the play after reading. Couldn't it be any button like "Show/Hide text"? I wouldn't say it's very ugly font though.
exfret wrote:-There should be a way to get off a wall without jumping off.
There is one. Let's say the wall is on your left side, so uou stick to it holding ←. If you release ← and press → at the same time, you'll get off without jumping.
exfret wrote:Level 35's a bit too hard and complex.
I don't think so. Maybe jumping the first row of spikes isn't necessary but I actually liked the level. What's more, I think getting one star (the one above the charges) is pretty much the same difficult as getting none which means the level could be more difficult.
exfret wrote:Place the bombs around the second star of level 36 instead of around the end-of-the-level-doorway.
I couldn't agree more. I ended having all three stars without a bomb hunting on the Shocktopous through the whole level. It's a great idea to force the player to use a bomb to get the third star.
testtubegames wrote:I'm not sure about bonus levels
Well, I guess it could be something like three diabolical levels for the daredevils which think they can pass any TES level. I imagine that the last one could be at the pretty much the same level as "Nightmare for Tonight" or something. :D
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Found a typo.
On level 11 it says "you computer warranty is totally voided"

I also found out what they were saying about the magnetic fields.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4_CdSnvCXI
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Great feedback, Misha and robly

And robly, that video was really helpful. The problem definitely does *not* have to do with refreshing the page (thanks for bearing with me and my 'did your restart your computer?' IT helpdesk stuff :) )

I had this very problem happen when I tried the game on my old laptop last week. It was strange, since this problem affected the game on one computer, and not the other. Thought I had fixed it, but I guess it's still lingering there.

Edit: What version of Flash are people using? I'm trying to reproduce the problem, and having a dickens of a time. On my old laptop, the problem got fixed when I updated flash. Couldn't figure out why, but I just shrugged it off at the time. Now I'm downloading old versions of flash to see if I can bring the problem back -- so far no such luck.

Edit 2: Oooh-oooh-oooh -- after a few hours of uninstalling and reloading flash -- and punching a couple holes in the wall -- I was able to reproduce the bugs you guys have been talking about by playing the game in Chrome (instead of Firefox, as I normally do). Have no idea why that would lead to such specific bugs, but at least now I have a lead!

Edit 3: I "figured it out." Or, at least, I think things should be working with the magnetic fields. Whatever is going on seems to be pretty clearly a bug in flash - though it's the strangest thing. It only affects certain versions of flash running in certain browsers. And there was no real rhyme or reason to it -- I just kept changing things, and used process of elimination to figure out what lines of code to 'fix'. Which is unsettling, since who knows when something similar might crop up. Anyway, you'll know you're running the new version if Shocktopus is festive for the holidays. If the fields still don't work for you, let me know (and the browser/version of flash would be helpful). ....what a long day hunting for that bug... now I can finally start working on the other feedback!
exfret

Post by exfret »

MishaTheMighty wrote:For me, the text was disturbing during the play after reading. Couldn't it be any button like "Show/Hide text"? I wouldn't say it's very ugly font though.
It's more that the text is over-done, especially in the context of the gamer graphics. Something more subtle would probably be more easily overlooked, so something like a show/hide text button would be a wonderful thing to have.

MishaTheMighty wrote:There is one. Let's say the wall is on your left side, so uou stick to it holding ←. If you release ← and press → at the same time, you'll get off without jumping.
That's too complicated to do when your in a tight situation, even more so to figure out on your own. Andy, you should make a simpler way and tell the player how to do it in one of the levels.

MishaTheMighty wrote:I couldn't agree more. I ended having all three stars without a bomb hunting on the Shocktopous through the whole level. It's a great idea to force the player to use a bomb to get the third star.
Yeah, this level really needs that one change. You basically made a super-hard ending with super-easy stars. Now that's just completely flip-flopped.

MishaTheMighty wrote:Well, I guess it could be something like three diabolical levels for the daredevils which think they can pass any TES level. I imagine that the last one could be at the pretty much the same level as "Nightmare for Tonight" or something. :D
Exactly! For those who feel overconfident... Maybe you should make a level that's actually possible, though, Misha. (And I mean practically possible, not technically possible).
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

URGENT: Shocktopus randomly defeats Mag. Yeti w/o landing a missile on him??!!! Fix this glitch before my brother unfairly defeats any more Mag. Yeti's!!! :o :shock:
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:URGENT: Shocktopus randomly defeats Mag. Yeti w/o landing a missile on him??!!! Fix this glitch before my brother unfairly defeats any more Mag. Yeti's!!! :o :shock:
Haha, wondering when you guys would notice that. Yeah, there's a special 'kill' button I use for debug purposes (hint: it's 'down') ... and that I forgot to disable before uploading this version.

I'll try to remember to fix that in the next update.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Wait, so my brother just accidentally was pressing down and killing mag. yeti w/o even completing a single other ~TES~ level, and he's the one to find this down glitch thing?! Oh, and I think I know why you chose down as the testing button:
It's because Mag. Yeti's going down.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:It's because Mag. Yeti's going down.
Hell yeah. The pun thread is too powerful - it's seeping into other threads! Nice.

Ah, I did a couple quick changes to the game - and uploaded a new build this evening. Changes include:

-Different wall jump controls... trying something new out, let me know what you think. To relearn the new controls, go back to level 2. Or if you're a pro, just figure it out yourself. Hopefully fairly intuitive. The main thing is - this will make it so 'up' means jump (including wall jumps), and you can easily move away from a wall without jumping.
-No more Yeti death Button

I didn't get a chance to make the other changes you've suggested yet (including changes to actual levels). I'll make them soon. I figure the wall jump, though, is a good place to start. Those controls are pretty core to the game, so let's make sure we've gotten them right!
MishaTheMighty

Post by MishaTheMighty »

I'm going to sum up the controls in this version and the previous one: (the first wall is on the left all examples, "~" means holding the key for some time)

Code: Select all

Single wall jump:
   Prev:    ←+↑  →
   Now:     ←+↑  ↑
Multiple wall jump:
   Prev:    ←+↑  →  ←  → ...
   Now:     ←+↑  ↑  ↑  ↑ ...
Sticking after wall jump:
   Prev:    ... ←~
      or    ... ←  ←~
   Now:     ... ↑  ←~
Moving down the wall:
   Prev:    ←~  ←  ←  ← ...
   Now:     ←~  ←  ←  ← ...
      or    ←~  ↔~
Moving up the wall in the magnetic field:
   Prev:    ←~  →~
   Now:     ←~  ~+↑  ~+↑  ~+↑
Jumping down:
   Prev:    ←~  →~
   Now:     ←~  →~
The effect of holding ↔~:
   Prev:    wall-jump
   Now:     moving down the wall (or going left if the wall is on the right)
[/size]

Well... It seems that instead of making jumping down easier, the new vesion changed controls for everything but this aspect. What's more, now jump-stick-jump method is much harder as you have to control ←, → and ↑, not only pressing them at the right time, but also releasing them when you have to. In other words: the biggest change is that now the player has to use all the three keys when wall-jumping, instead of just two of them. What's more, moving up the wall in magnetic fields isn't that easy now...

My proposition is to change controls back with two additional rules:

Code: Select all

Moving down the wall:
   New:    ←~+↓

Multiple wall jump:
   New:    ←+↑  →  ←  → ...
     or    ←+↑  ↑~
[/size]
So one more function for the ↓ key: slowly moving down the wall. I guess it won't be a problem as there shouldn't be any switches ON the wall, right? And the second one is just easier version for "wall-jump as long as I won't tell you to stop".

Let me know what do you think.
exfret

Post by exfret »

I agree with Misha: you just complicated the controls. Just change them back to what they were before (they were much more intuitive then), and include something like pressing 'down' to be able to get off a wall w/o wall-jumping.