Version .91

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Version .91

Post by testtubegames »

Ah, great -- thanks for the quick feedback. In return: I provide quick turn-around (yay for internet access on trains!) -- the new version is posted. Same as the old controls, except pressing 'down' makes you let go of the wall. See if this way feels good.
exfret

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:Ah, great -- thanks for the quick feedback. In return: I provide quick turn-around (yay for internet access on trains!) -- the new version is posted. Same as the old controls, except pressing 'down' makes you let go of the wall. See if this way feels good.
Just get rid of the sound being repeatedly played when pressing 'towards' a wall and 'down' at the same time.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

I would also like to suggest maybe a short little story-line interruption and a notice that you are entering the next act after each act.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Glitch: Tracking lines when ur charged stay from level to level.
exfret

Post by exfret »

exfret wrote:
testtubegames wrote:Ah, great -- thanks for the quick feedback. In return: I provide quick turn-around (yay for internet access on trains!) -- the new version is posted. Same as the old controls, except pressing 'down' makes you let go of the wall. See if this way feels good.
Just get rid of the sound being repeatedly played when pressing 'towards' a wall and 'down' at the same time.
You also need to fix this: ~TES~ isn't jumping for me when I press 'away' while still pressing 'towards'. Also, remember to add in repeatedly jumping when 'up' is being held down (instead of having to press it over and over at exactly the right time, which is especially annoying on computers with keys that aren't as 'hard').
exfret

Post by exfret »

Here's another thing: I've noticed that people either ignore or don't notice the text (I don't know which) when playing the levels. I don't know whether this is because the text is too subtle or because they think I'll tell them everything while I'm showing them the game. I suggest making the text a different color and definitely adding in that 'show/hide text' button. Also, people seem to lose interest relatively quickly. I don't know if this is because I've introduced them to it when they didn't really feel like playing or because it's boring. I think that it's most likely due to the fact that they're not as likely to keep playing when I've introduced them, but maybe something to make it more exciting and less endless-number-of-platformer-levels-I-need-to-complete would be appropriate. Finally, I've noticed that people need explaining of things not explained in hints or text. Do you want people to have to figure it out for themselves?

A hint about the first star on level 3 may be better than the current hint. Also, people still don't seem to know how to get past level 3, even after reading the text. One more thing about level three: the spikes on the bottom DEFINITELY (sorry for caps, too lazy to italicize) need to be done away with. Most people do in fact overlook them, and there is no use to having them where they are.
Last edited by exfret on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Andy (or anyone else), if you clicked the 'go to last post' button, remember to read the above posts, too!!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Awesome -- great glitch-finds. Those sound pretty darn reasonable. I'll give another thought to the Act 1, Act 2, Act 3 transitions. Originally I planned little animations, but then I decided it would be a) too much work, and b) get in the way of the game.

Plus the Acts weren't as thematically based as I originally thought (I experimented with an electricity act, magnetism act, and conductor act... but that never felt right).

But I think it makes sense to at least put in a little screen to note the change from one act to the next somehow.
exfret wrote:Also, people seem to lose interest relatively quickly. I don't know if this is because I've introduced them to it when they didn't really feel like playing or because it's boring... Finally, I've noticed that people need explaining of things not explained in hints or text. Do you want people to have to figure it out for themselves?
That's something I tend to notice, too. People have a certain patience for games, and it depends a lot on setting. When I bring it to a game-event, people tend to play for a long time. When I bring it to a social event, they tend to play 'enough', then go back to eating or chatting. I suppose it makes sense, since sometimes you are just interested in socializing, other times you're interested in playing games. And, also, a single player game can feel odd to play when there are other people around. It's good to note, and I'm glad you passed that along to me, though.

As for the 'people need extra things explained', are there any other specific things you noticed (that you haven't mentioned specifically in these threads already)? If there are any that stick out to you, I'm sure they'd make great extra hints or tips.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Just general level hints. Sorry for lack of detail, I just wrote a large paragraph and I was copying it just in case on my iPhone and it pasted. :evil: :cry: :x I only realized how to 'undo typing' after writing that. Anyways, there wer a whole bunch of things useful to point out, and I was thinking a series of videos about completing the levels might be useful. Also, I was thinking about doing such videos myself and I'm wondering if you could tell me how to do them.
exfret

Re: Prerelease Level-Creation Megathread

Post by exfret »

Glitch: When you delete a lever with a block selected, you go into 'permanent delete mode'.