Version .93

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
exfret

Re: Version .93

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:Originally was thinking about it as a "while you wait for the game to load" thing. But then, frankly, the game is only ~7MB now... so I might incorporate it into the game somehow instead. (Like you go to a secret area and access that mini-game/toy) We'll see.
A loading screen seems like a good idea. Only thing is that the loading screen isn't up for that long, so it probably wouldn't do as much good as it would as an easter egg as long as you get some dedicated people who find the easter egg. Then again, there are always those people with laggier computers who would greatly benefit from a loading screen. Another good add would be an antigravity easter egg (no gravity).

testtubegames wrote:Hrm... does this happen every time you do it, or was it only the first time?
Every time. I had to skip the level to go on. I tried it just now, though, and it worked. It was probably just another strange, isolated glitch. :(

testtubegames wrote:Act 3? Hmm... it should appear in the upper left corner when level 31 loads. It doesn't?
It appeared. I may have just not noticed it. It's pretty far from where ~TES~ starts, so that's prob. what got me.

testtubegames wrote:I still think I'll leave 3 levels open at a time, even for the boss, for consistency. If the levels you need to skip are the last couple, so be it.
Okay, as long as you make the last 2 levels before the BOSS level unimportant, which they already seem. Level 43 is particularly tricky, so it's a pretty good level to be able to bypass. I still want stars to do something, though.

testtubegames wrote:Collision code was changed, yes, since I noticed that you could stand *within* flashing spikes, and as long as you didn't move, you were fine. Had to fix that.
Okay, sounds good. Makes it harder to move through my invisible blocks, though. And getting right within a spike seems like a good thing to add to a Misha level. It doesn't seem like something that would be particularly useful (if the blocks are flashing, you already had the ability to move through them anyways, and it's not like you can move beyond the spikes because then you'll get killed) or something someone's particularly likely to find by chance (unless they're sifting through these forums, in that case Hi! I'm exfret. Go try my Velocity Raptor levels and reply to everything I've posted. Why are you still waiting there. NOW!!).

testtubegames wrote:And I'll make deleting from levers easier. Right now, it only deletes the tile if it is active (so you have to switch the lever on within the edit screen, so that the tile you're trying to delete is outlined in white). But I agree that's tough/counter intuitive, so I will make it easier to delete.
I have a variety of things I want to say that I have placed under here:

No, you don't understand. I can't delete things attached to levers at all. Don't change it deleting a tile if it is active. I like that. It makes it so you can delete only one of the blocks in a space, and it actually is intuitive as well.

Also, levers became glitchier in another way. When you have a lever selected and do something to deselect it (clicking somewhere else), it doesn't deselect. The things you make don't get attached to the lever, but it still shows the lever as selected.

Finally, don't make it so it deselects the lever when you scroll the different pages of blocks. That makes it so I can't make my black blocks or very many other blocks that are cool. Okay? :ugeek: (BTW: What's a ugeek?).

Finally, a nice functionality you could give levers could be to place the shocktopus starting block somewhere. You could make it so that the game places the shocktopus then resets the level, including the lever so that you'll need to press the lever again if you want to still have the checkpoint. Or, you could also add a functionality to have levers not reset after ~TES~ dies, which would be super-useful. You could also make levers teleport ~TES~, which would also be super-useful.

Finally, don't make the game reset after you finish editing. There's no reason to do that, especially since you don't send ~TES~ back to his starting place once you finish editing.

Finfinally (a final finally), I keep having problems with level codes. A good example is how it sends ~TES~ to the top-left corner of the screen if there is anything in the block he occupies, even if it's a background block (like a closed door or a magnetic field). This shouldn't happen at all (even if it's a solid block he's being placed in). Sending him to the top-left corner does absolutely no help, and if the maker of the level wanted to start ~TES~ within a block, there should be no reason why he/she shouldn't be able to do that. I've also had a problem when I was making level where you'd just charge and get through it. It was really complicated and took a bunch of time, but when I loaded it up after losing the level on my own browser (probably because of you making a new version or something), Shocktopus didn't do what he was supposed to do. Basically, a loaded level may act differently from the original, only by a small amount, but that could mean big problems for a precise level like I made. ~TES~ also did a complete different thing the first time I ran him through, so he died the first time. This isn't as bad, as you just have to die to get to the 'original' level, but it's still something you should fix.

testtubegames wrote:Was it a particularly complex level? If there were tons of switches, say, it may have been lagging on the calculations. Otherwise, yeah, this points to a mysterious bug.
Nope. It seemed pretty isolated, though. I'll make sure to tell you anything if it happens again.

testtubegames wrote:Really? Even once you flip the switch, the star is nowhere to be seen? Puzzling
Yep, puzzling.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

You saw my reply, right Andy? (Just checking in case you had overlooked it).
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:You saw my reply, right Andy? (Just checking in case you had overlooked it).
Yup! Good finds -- I'm fixing up the switches now. Hopefully they'll finally just work. I should have the next (final*) version posted this eve.

*There are never final versions, but yeah, basically final