The Haps

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

The Haps

Post by testtubegames »

:Sh :Sh :Sh :Sh

The Electric Shocktopus shall rise from the ashes of an ever-receding release date...>!

So, selling the game to flash sponsors hasn't been working. The bids are too low, the game is a bit niche, and the flash industry is on its way out. (Most of the money seems to have gone off to other places, like mobile). It's time for a new plan.

My thought? Release it kinda like the Gravity Simulator -- in two parts. One that's free online (as a flash game), and one that's downloadable (for 4.99, say). The free flash game would be basically Act I as the game stands now (which hits on both Electricity and Magnetism, so it's a nice introduction to the game). People could use the level editor to make and share levels just as we planned -- just using the tiles from Act I.

The full, downloadable version would have all three Acts right from the get-go. Players would get conductors (grounded, positive, negative), heat seeking missiles, those pink magnetic fields, flowing currents... a whole bunch more science. And the graphics would be bigger (full screen ftw!) and sounds would be better (larger file sizes ftw!). And down the road, if the game is popular enough, I could add in more levels. (That was always my plan... offer a longer version of the game, which would include the extra mechanics I left out of the original for lack of space.)

This plan matches with my mission here at TestTubeGames, too. I love the idea of having free content that people can play and use to learn -- and by being free, it can get in front of a ton of eyeballs. Act 1 makes for a complete, fun, and educational game, covering some essential topics of E&M. But, then, I also need to eat -- so by offering up tons more levels and educational content to people who enjoyed the first act... I can give them the extras that they'd want. (How many would opt to buy the full version? Who could say. But certainly more than are doing it now!)

This plan will also let me get the Shocktopus schedule back in *my* hands! No more waiting for other people to place bids! Just me, the calendar, and highly caffeinated evenings porting the game.

So, this is my gut-check before I get started on it. You people here in the forums have been indescribably helpful as I made this game -- so go, have your say! Sound reasonable?
robly18

Re: The Haps

Post by robly18 »

Sounds good.

It just makes me sad that I would be unable to buy it, seeing as I haven't got a credit card.

As a side note, if you ever happen to make a AAA quality game, I would recommend putting it up on steam greenlight. That's actually somewhere I can buy things, and yknow: It's bloody steam! It has millions of users, many of which not interested only in the latest shooter. I know a bunch of games that got in through steam greenlight and are currently giving the developers a pretty penny.

As well as this, with the whole steam workshop and things, you could even share levels without those text codes!

Maybe it's just me being a bit of a steam fanboy, but I think if you ever find yourself with a project that you think will end amazingly, I'd recommend setting it up on greenlight. From what little I know, it has a $100 admission price, but I think there's a big chance of a scienc-y game that also happens to be fun would get a lot of publicity.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Sounds good. I'd try the free version first. Then, if I liked it, I'd pay for the full version in a heartbeat. Just get it released!
exfret

Post by exfret »

Robly18, your comment reminds me of superhot (http://superhotgame.com/), a fps game that received lots of good attention from steam, and that makes me think that it would indeed be a good idea to release it there, but it just seems like it's not an AAA game, if you know what I mean.

Also:
robly18 wrote:It just makes me sad that I would be unable to buy it, seeing as I haven't got a credit card.
Um, you're a playtester, so, you can play it anyways, right?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

exfret wrote:Robly18, your comment reminds me of superhot (http://superhotgame.com/), a fps game that received lots of good attention from steam, and that makes me think that it would indeed be a good idea to release it there, but it just seems like it's not an AAA game, if you know what I mean.

Also:
robly18 wrote:It just makes me sad that I would be unable to buy it, seeing as I haven't got a credit card.
Um, you're a playtester, so, you can play it anyways, right?
Well, maybe, but that doesn't mean that
A- there aren't any people in the same position as me
B- I don't want to buy an extra copy for, say, a friend or even a second copy for me
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Great feedback one-and-all. Once I release the game (like GSim, say... just on my website), I may well try to get it places like Steam or other online stores. It's not as huge and flashy a game as some on Steam -- but then again, it hits a neat niche and may resonate with some people. Worth a shot, anyway. And the Greenlight process is sure to drive some eyeballs to the game.
robly18 wrote:Well, maybe, but that doesn't mean that
A- there aren't any people in the same position as me
B- I don't want to buy an extra copy for, say, a friend or even a second copy for me
True that. Anytime you set a bar-to-entry like this, you can prevent some people from getting the game. I'd like to be pretty open about it, though, if I could. Giving away some keys... maybe hosting a weekly contest for player-made levels that rewards people with a free full version. That could at least help with the accessibility.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Ok, this game is firmly on the Shelf of Video Game Languishment. Are you planning to release it any time soon??
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh, hell yeah, it is on that shelf of languishment. I haven't found a chance to work on it yet -- contract work getting in the way and such -- but here goes:

I will set a release date for the game within the next month.

Bold? No. But the boldest claim I've made on the release to date!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Well, that month is about to run out.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »