Release Date.

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Release Date.

Post by testtubegames »

The month is indeed up!

I popped on some music the other night, grabbed a stiff drink, took a look at my calendar, cleared some of my contract work for the next while, and am ready...
to...
finish...
Shocktopus.

I've got some improvements that I'd like to make (I'm a year wiser(?) after all), and add to that a runway to get people excited about the game's release. A few months should just about do it. So the release date of The Electric Shocktopus will be:

January 25, 2015

(I figure what better day than my birthday?)

My goal: release a full, downloadable version of the game. Some more levels (since it's not your standard quick browser game anymore) and bigger, flashier graphics (since I'll have more *power* to play around with).

A secondary goal will be to release a flash version of the first act of the game, though this may or may not coincide with the main release. (The reason I'd want to wait a bit is just to make sure the full version is *great* and road-tested before drawing a lot of eyeballs to it with a flash game.)

Details will emerge as I get further into the thick of the game, and I'm certain there will be plenty of testing that I'll need with proto-versions before the release day... so stay tuned.
NealCruco

Re: Release Date

Post by NealCruco »

My first thought was "I'll believe it when it happens", but that sounds too harsh. If I can help somehow, tell me.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Release Date.

Post by testtubegames »

Yeah, won't be easy, but it'll be doable. I doubt anyone is more frustrated than me that it isn't out yet, and I'm looking forward to finally doing that project justice.

And yeah, the skepticism is totally understandable. It took me a while to come to terms with it myself, but that's why I wanted to make sure to finally set a specific date. Without a date in mind, it has gotten easier for other priorities to get in the way.

With a date, I've finally got a rallying cry.

And, ooo, I've already got a screenshot of the latest version I've been working on:
Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 8.20.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 8.20.13 PM.png (175.35 KiB) Viewed 15075 times
Looking good so far!

Edit: Some day I'm going to replay dispBananas() with dispStars()... but that day is not today. (Maxwell Monkey #neverforget)
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Hey, is that C#? I know that language!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Yes, yes it is. I'm going through the first steps of porting the code from Flash to Unity -- and hoping it goes pretty smoothly. Assuming I can do it without killing too much time, it'll make the full version bigger, faster, way more powerful, and also pretty neat looking (what with easy particle effects and all).