Shocktopus Level Converter

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Shocktopus Level Converter

Post by testtubegames »

The old (and unreleased) flash version of The Electric Shocktopus used a few different styles of level-code -- none of which work in the new Unity game. Which is a shame, since there were some amazing levels that people made... they'd been lost to the ages...

Until now.*

I uploaded a level converter onto my site, which will let you take (most) old level codes and convert them into new codes. (It's gonna take a lot of Feel Bad Fridays to make it through all of them, now!)

So go ahead and revisit your old levels -- or peruse the old megathread.

*Some notable exceptions -- for a short period of time, there were some levels with smaller dimensions, and these don't properly convert (yet?). Also, there are some mechanics that are now missing (like charging yourself negatively, or floating conductors). So if you come across something weird, don't be *too* surprised.
NealCruco

Re: Shocktopus Level Converter

Post by NealCruco »

I've been waiting for this! My suggestion for the smaller levels is to just put a buffer of sand tiles around the outside. That seems to be the simplest method.
Edit: Are you sure this level was converted correctly? It doesn't look broken, even though it's very empty, but exfret's comments don't seem to fit it.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:I've been waiting for this! My suggestion for the smaller levels is to just put a buffer of sand tiles around the outside. That seems to be the simplest method.
Edit: Are you sure this level was converted correctly? It doesn't look broken, even though it's very empty, but exfret's comments don't seem to fit it.
Yeah, that's my plan for the smaller levels. Just center them on the screen, and all should be well. I need to set aside a bit of time to do the conversion and make sure I got it right.

And that *is* indeed the level that exfret posted. I'm a big fan of it. Very simple (empty), as you say... and yet fairly challenging.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

testtubegames wrote: And that *is* indeed the level that exfret posted. I'm a big fan of it. Very simple (empty), as you say... and yet fairly challenging.
Oh, it's certainly challenging. It's just that exfret's comments about the stars confused me.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Code: Select all

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Tesla's Ditch"-eNrtU0EOwiAQvHn3C3teE6YUaN9iejXe9Ub8j88UoSptKMS0MR6Ypd10Op1lyXZ331vZ8hStnD3BJXAGcCEV54G8B5eKvND0q21WCqDLEhM61tEqFIN6trZ8SlCfc8SyDhPPtMrvLt8Cygq1hcl8J+od6QlCeY5SIqmXzbwWrmK45pEaCRRnJqGAtXQmPkCIcCOydCU+Dm5ZOpFPF5eMYa0H/yIQHVh3MWF6NiImgIa1mTKCdR8zUjpfFRjeFBgLdGOBLz9XXFHxX2hSsfmPU1Hxa8hU3B5dmcwg]
I'm going to assume that guns used to trigger buttons, and now they don't.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:I'm going to assume that guns used to trigger buttons, and now they don't.
Ah yes, I noticed that the other day when playing through some old levels as well. Forgot to write it down on the master list, thanks!