Feel Bad Friday(s)!

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Feel Bad Friday(s)!

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:I couldn't believe that you took the hard path for that top-right star.
Do you mean the top-left star? If so - curses, you have a point.
NealCruco wrote:there were other areas where you made the level harder than it really was
Them's fighting words! Let's see your low-(no?)-death victory in this level :)

In other news - apologies on the lack of a FBF this week - between Labor Day weekend and trying to get version 0.7 ready and out (gotta fix that electric field bug!), I didn't get a chance.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

testtubegames wrote:
NealCruco wrote:I couldn't believe that you took the hard path for that top-right star.
Do you mean the top-left star? If so - curses, you have a point.
NealCruco wrote:there were other areas where you made the level harder than it really was
Them's fighting words! Let's see your low-(no?)-death victory in this level :)

In other news - apologies on the lack of a FBF this week - between Labor Day weekend and trying to get version 0.7 ready and out (gotta fix that electric field bug!), I didn't get a chance.
Yes, I meant the top-left star.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Okay, Feel Bad Friday is coming a day early this week! ... or 6 days late from last week? Who can say...

It's a fun week, less about struggling to beat a level, but more about showing off YS Display (a *highly* offensive level) by A Random Player -- and also showing off some new features I've been adding to the game as I prep Version 0.7.

You can watch it all here.

The original post is here, or you can just snag this code:

Code: Select all

[The Electric Shocktopus-"YS Display"-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]
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
So, the first time I played through this... I had literally no idea what to expect. I wish I was recording that first playthrough, because my surprise would'a made for good TV, I am sure. How on earth did you plan that out? And how on earth did I not see 'YS' coming?!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Wow. I can't wait for v0.7! Those tools look incredible.
And some passerby at that festival played 4A4C?! How did that work out? The level's laughably easy compared to some of my others, but I remember very well when it took me two hours to beat. I can't imagine how hard it would appear if it was one of the first levels someone played.
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

Any chance you could post the code for Sea Star Reef? I want to try it.
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:And some passerby at that festival played 4A4C?! How did that work out? The level's laughably easy compared to some of my others, but I remember very well when it took me two hours to beat. I can't imagine how hard it would appear if it was one of the first levels someone played.
Haha - he didn't make it far. I think he made it to about the point where you need to start burning through crates. Which... frankly... is damn impressive for someone who hadn't played the game for more than 20 minutes! I mean, he was interacting with tiles he'd never seen before.
Stargate38 wrote:Any chance you could post the code for Sea Star Reef? I want to try it.
Oh, yeah, sure! I just posted in the blog about the festival, and I put the code for that level in the post.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Obviously, spoilers.
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Drawing arbitrary high-density bitmaps (aka: without using Letter Writer's technique) with missiles coming from infinity is *hard*. In fact, starting from only a 3x5 (or more if needed) filled rectangle, these letters are impossible:
Upper: ABDGOPQR
Lower: abdegopqr
(Hope I didn't miss any)
Edit: Not r
Note that these are the letters with loops with a few exceptions (ex. G).
Now consider what if the missiles can only come from the top/bottom; this is needed unless you are going to do this with your letters:

███
█
███
█
███
      ███
      █
      ███
      █
      █
Which isn't that good.
If missiles can only come from the top/bottom (like in the top section of the level), only the following letters can be created from a solid block:
HLMNTUVWXY
hlmntuvwx
Obviously you can't really write much with just those letters. This means that you have to either Letter Writer your text (pro: arbitrary text/symbols. con: so much space.*), or, the method I used here, leave holes in the solid blocks where letters need holes (pro: high-density. con: only one or maybe a few possible characters). If you don't leave holes, some pairs of characters like B and D are going to be mapped to the same hole-less block:

██  ██     ██
█ █ █ █    ███
██  █ █ -> ███
█ █ █ █    ███
██  ██     ██
*In theory this would be fine if you could just zoom out. However, we only have a finite TES world. (More on this later).

It's relatively easy to show that you only need at most a 6-tall rectangle for horizontal text like this. Since you can send missiles from both top and bottom, you only need to control three pulses*.
Edit: Actually, I think there might be some weirdness with characters like N, which needs 5 pulses from the bottom.

However, this would make the lower part of the level too obvious (I think there'd be 7 empty blocks if you use the "proper" c, many of them next to each other), so I spaced it a bit diagonally, and sent some missiles from the sides. (S and k being the notable issues.) I was running out of switches* then, so I sent volleys with 3, 2, and 1 missiles. In theory, this could pulse a total of any polite number of missiles from one direction if the required pulses are more than the max pulses per volley (since once a cannon starts and stops, it can't start again). I use the first volley to clear out the large areas, and cleared more precisely with the latter ones. However, there are some conflicts; for example, the upper-right section needs to be cleared before the S can be finished. In this case, it was a bit weird (that random missile there? conflict-resolution with the latter vertical missiles).

Part of the confusion was because I stacked multiple switch-controlled blocks on top of each other (something I rarely do; I only started needing to in The Ocean). This way it was hard to distinguish what was controlling what.

*I think I actually might be able to change the first section to use only 2 switches instead of 3, now that I think about it. One controls the 2 volley, one the 1 volley. Since 1 = 1, 2 = 2, and 3 = 2 + 1, this might work.
Edit: See edit above.
Here are some early prototypes of the levels (obviously, even more spoilers since they show the actual thing)
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Font test:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Windy Labyrinth"-eNqr1iEIDM0hGEGgYQjCytIhpANhOgoJ14jHfFw03AR09+KxVQe3LhJ9S3RooviSWFVIbsbmUywBghNj8S2aN3F4Ep+t+KIVzaPo3sPw1CggARibYE1s5MPqaqUSJZ3oWCCqVkoDsWoBapHDDQ==]
Test of an alternate method of clearing which didn't work out in the end:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Pointy Reef"-eNrtls8KgCAMxt/FsxfzTw8TXXuBuknvngkKQeAGYxnuayKKfHbYbzNqbQ1x5PG9TCAOcRXX37n2qkfBYL7avZYL7BejOpRe1hRRbSpPe5rmEHTwaRtRqoxvLNongG7Q/yK7EHxWNKzuvCzwTFB4+DMUgQ8pFBgr0Zj8lFE5ssgm1BlB0n9EHSJW8XIYvLh6AerRyUa8JI+I7n3oweBxtRAEdWyF4LwAynyMfw==]
Top part test:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Vanishing Sea"-eNrtWEESgyAM/AtnDjKo1Ld0vPYD7Y3p36vWICigos5Uu9sYIBNCwMyWVnMuxc7SQYiiVwbuyFgVFyXpiMw6kGyJqnx91YoTloytfRjY00h7e99Q7hLBCIE1qG8CUhhPbgFtLz7eaeI7UEFnHiyEfuQYpdxZrNAp1bwGw/HPeO0Sh1PxkOd4gtmCVRbDY02M59A5zXjbEWfznsbaevB+yDycwtqP1uzF+L1uRLMH65pn0yipeFk05pQEnfpvtZ8nzwh3T8PIq5zmOmdw+jeYWNYA8Ft1TFx9W8zVIf4idopw2TXPEIUEggaAgxm6WnGbnlwaTS9wtbwSG0e+jKa/KHCvBnUDwKHcnWfp/4QAAAgYADYxsAADA6Bg4B/pr8wq0B+wmHrq9wcVNCbZ]
Bottom part test. Imagine that the spikes disappear when they get hit by missiles:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Vanishing Sea"-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]
Older version, with a slightly different challenge:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Vanishing Sea"-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]
Also I just noticed that near the end of YS Display's level code there is

/FeAr//
I've been busy lately, so this might not all make much sense. Any comments on the comments?
Edit:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
This was partly trial and error - well, creating the idea and fitting the pieces was. In fact, in the beginning, I had no idea if the level would even work!
This was not computer generated. I placed the tiles by hand - not that hard if you know what should go where.
In a way this was related to NaQRC: the ending part and when what goes where took a bit of carefulness (including, but not limited to that random cannon). For example, some ambiguous areas (ex. in the rights) apparently had multiple ways to clear, but some of them didn't seem to work.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Wow, that was an *extremely* good answer to my question on how-you-did-it. I read it through a week ago, but it took me a while to really parse it all. Sounds like, as I kinda expected, there wasn't a simple shortcut. Just a lot of careful logic, reasoning, and the occasional bit of trial and error. Crazy-awesome.

In other news, my apologies to you all for the break in the FBF. (Yes, I'm still alive and healthy!) I'm putting it on hold until the next update to Shocktopus is out. Since the electric fields are kind of broken right now, it doesn't really lend itself to making and sharing intricate levels (which themselves could be broken when the fields are fixed).

That said, I'm excited about the new update. I've been really going deep into the performance of the game, trying to squeeze as much as I can out of the field calculations. It's been a lot of... well, careful logic, reasoning, and a heckuva lot of trial and error. I've finally found a happy medium that (a) calculates the fields accurately*, and (2) does it fast*. Along the way I've been discovering more and more ways to speed up *other* things in the game, and after one more pass of speeding up level-loading, I'm hopeful I can make the field calculations even more accurate. (If levels load twice as fast, that gives me some wiggle room to bump up the calculations.)

I just need a couple more days, so 0.7 should be out next week. (I was hoping for yesterday... but then I discovered a *really* big way to speed things up. Woo!)

*enough
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Shocktopus version 0.7 is on its way out today... so, too, is a Feel Bad Friday (monday?).

This week I tackle 0D11 by NealCruco. Click here to watch the video. Or here to see the original post. Or just copy this code:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"0D11"-eNrtkk0OwiAQhe/CehaOdAY5i2HrBXRHvLs4LYi25afRxEQfLaSTL0zn5XnQCLR5BclWEPIyki5AJHlXLyPY29grx+iVj4WPYNTIxX+dg4+5866JL2NUpNb1RqIrFl2t9VBn7hEZVwxM+5fESzbqH2ZhOF0b7LlzzYKaUT1M9/JeXRQcXXi8Oik5zuFAq4EplOE7ldmBVWIr4JIdxAdg66JRUjK70aEWkxD++kXhFBbDPMvPQMBmKl1vO7tgtw==]
In the video, in addition to playing nc's level, I also show off a fair bit of the new features of version 0.7. Voltmeters, field calculations, and switchable tiles, oh my!

Thanks for sharing the level with us, NealCruco!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

In this week's the latest Feel Bad Friday, I take on Grid World by A Random Player.

Watch me hiccup and take on the challenge here.

Or find the original post here.

Or just snag this code:

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Grid World"-eNrtVUsSgjAMvQvrLCilOJ7FYesJ3DHe3bZJA/0Coh1HrQVjeXl5vnTKBG8fAoRQeL08svw6Ciqq4JuCHUgQg5m9XJY92WnAVHwpRYqEuqVCvDDZ/eaHi5sn1qK7cz4Rh+xINgS6HD5+gpFRzWxESLQKML2okLM4SYvFFdnONs+2JpsYKutaMzd4SvQDRzYRXKvsTPc/zsk5mey2U7jiKKAAJ4btY5MYlJVrlvQ2jCjY+YTPdskTRn8CSWRoaL4rzEkM3gZgv4p25zKtWcr3vSwpjqTcdWhgpb58WlFvO29bxLgJ/uNThqRPRczU3Bq4/JzT8St0M0SBqlKnhgV1a2vnxq/ba3Vs5Cr1u5Zs5FHAap56GnFQ+Tg1V30ijvcHnCsxhw==]
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
As always, I had a lot of fun with this level. The electromagnetism is so minimal in the level that I imagined it'd be pretty basic, but it was one of my favorite parts of the level. And the disappearing-reappearing-plus-sign in the upper right was rad! And I was a big fan that the level challenged me to get more than just three stars. It made it feel really full, instead of just me traveling vast distances for a single star.