Version 0.9

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Version 0.9

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:(Solution: Easy. Just put all buttons at (0,0,0). :D)
Yeah, tested this one out in a nearly empty scene, and discovered that it's a problem with one of my plugins. Thankfully that doesn't break the game (as near as I could tell), so it's staying in until they get around to fixing it...
A Random Player wrote:another idea is if a tile appears on top of the player, that tile should be the only one that you can fall through?
Ooh, I like that. I'll try it and see how it feels.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Bug found! If you add text to a signpost so that it starts with a quotation mark ("), all of the text will be lost upon restarting the game. To replicate, make a level, add a signpost, and set the text to something starting with a quotation mark, like - "Hello" - (remember to add the quotation marks). Then close the game, restart it, and reload the level. There will no longer be any text on the sign.

This bug showed up when I was testing 69F4, though it took me a while to realize that it wasn't just a random hiccup. Sometimes, when I was testing it in the level, the text of the signpost changed to the text of another sign in the level. Also, I noticed that the text of any sign wasn't easily editable- it took several tries before a cursor would appear in the edit box, and until it did, I couldn't edit or select text.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:Bug found!
Ah, thanks - added to bug list!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Well, I am quite angry right now. Mostly at myself. While developing my latest level (just posted it in the megathread), I found what I thought was a cool exploit, and proceeded to incorporate it into the level. I finish testing the level and post it here. Then I just happen to be reading this thread, and find that the exploit was marked as closed on Feb 22 (almost six months ago). I am confused, because surely there's no way I could have missed an update for six months, right? ...Right?

...Wrong. Utterly, completely, dream-shatteringly wrong. After downloading the latest version from Humble (which again pushes that Feb 22 date in my face), I find that my level is broken in 0.9e. (Presumably, I have 0.9d, though I have no way to know.) So, now I'm angry at myself for somehow missing this and thus building a closed exploit into a level and angry that I'll have to somehow fix the level in a not-so-cool way. Even angry at Andy for fixing the exploit, even though I know that it was game-breaking for multiple levels, and so I really shouldn't want it back. (Besides, Andy, I know you're just doing your job.)

And the icing on the cake? I had already learned of this exploit when Random reported it, and had tested it myself! Somehow, I completely forgot about it and forgot to update Shocktopus, thus rediscovering a closed exploit and getting excited over it.

Well, my rant's over with now. I figured I'd vent to the couple of people who would know what I was talking about. Andy, when's the next version coming out, or is your plate full with your other projects at the moment?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Boo - that sucks. The level looks really neat - I'm excited to give it a try, but I did find that broken exploit you're talking about. I need to be better about updating the update-checker (for the last iteration, it would only alert you if you didn't have v0.9, and ignored "abcde" stuff). Really, the game should *tell* you every time that it's not up to date, and it should do so even for the minor updates, not just the major ones. I'll be better about that in the future. Maybe find a better way to automate it.

As for your level...
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
I know it's not *as* cool, but the falling-through-walls exploit still works if the walls are operated by the same color switch you just flipped. So, you could replace the walls you need to fall through with green-switch-walls (both on *and* off... that way they never go away, they just let you fall through still). Not as slick-looking, I agree. But a possibility for that same "whoa" reaction.
Oh, and a bit of news - TES made it through Steam Greenlight! Just heard about it last week - and haven't gotten a chance to get the ball rolling on it, but that does mean there'll be some updates / release activity soon.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

testtubegames wrote:As for your level...
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
I know it's not *as* cool, but the falling-through-walls exploit still works if the walls are operated by the same color switch you just flipped. So, you could replace the walls you need to fall through with green-switch-walls (both on *and* off... that way they never go away, they just let you fall through still). Not as slick-looking, I agree. But a possibility for that same "whoa" reaction.
Oh, and a bit of news - TES made it through Steam Greenlight! Just heard about it last week - and haven't gotten a chance to get the ball rolling on it, but that does mean there'll be some updates / release activity soon.
You are a lifesaver! (Or a level-saver, I guess.) I never would have thought about doing that (or expected it to result in such behavior), but it's made the level work exactly as intended, with no downsides or workarounds! You can now play it as it was meant to be played. :)