What happened to the water

An upcoming game about Electricity, Magnetism, and Cephalopods

What happened to the water

Post by 19683 »

Shoctopus wrote: :Sh I'm an OCTOPUS! I want WATER! Give me water NOW! :!: :Sh
Higgs wrote: :He's right! We should add water levels! :!: :H
Shoctopus wrote: :Sh I could swim! We could add water friction! Dielectrics! Dielectric breakdown! :!: :Sh

What do YOU think?
Shoctopus wrote: :Sh My name is Electric Shoctopus :Sh , and I approve this message! :!: :Sh
Higgs wrote: :H My name is Agent :HIggs and I approve this message! :!: :H
Mr. Green wrote: :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
:D wrote: :D
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))

Re: What happened to the water

Post by 19683 »

Just to clarify :D :

:idea: Ideas :idea: :
:idea: 1: WATER :!:
:idea: 2: Water Friction
:idea: 3: Water as a dielectric
:idea: 4: Dielectric breakdown
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))
robly18

Post by robly18 »

Don't take my word on this since I know nearly nothing about the field, but wouldn't the water have at least *some* effect on the magnetic fields? If so, what would it be?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oooh, intriguing! Put the Shocktopus back on his home surf, so to speak? I like the dielectric angle on it, polarizable insulators could be a fun addition. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly the important lesson & game mechanic of it would be. (What is the kernel that people *need* to know about dielectrics -- and what special things can it do to the electric field, i.e. what new exciting level designs could we have?) I'm all ears if you've got thoughts on it.

As for the water + magnets question, the first thing that springs to mind is that water is diamagnetic. It's like the opposite of iron. Instead of attracting to magnets, it repels -- albeit very very weakly. You've maybe seen the video of the frog floating. Water is why.

So I guess we'd see a very tiny effect on the magnetic fields, and in the opposite direction from what we'd expect from a bar of iron. Instead of focusing the magnetic field lines through it (like iron), the field lines would be expelled from water a bit. (Again, a part-in-a-million -- but this is a game, who cares? ;))