r^-5 "Orbital Decay"?

What did you draw?
robly18

Re: r^-5 "Orbital Decay"?

Post by robly18 »

Huh. That's kind of cool. Is there any "opposite" to that? A law to the power of a positive number that is also unstable? Is this like positive and negative, having a border where below that everything is stable and above is unstable; or is it just numbers between something and -3 that create stable orbits?

Andy: time to increase the range on the simulator!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:Huh. That's kind of cool. Is there any "opposite" to that? A law to the power of a positive number that is also unstable? Is this like positive and negative, having a border where below that everything is stable and above is unstable; or is it just numbers between something and -3 that create stable orbits?

I think anything below -3 is unstable, and anything above -3 is stable.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!

Post by 19683 »

robly18 wrote:Huh. That's kind of cool. Is there any "opposite" to that? A law to the power of a positive number that is also unstable? Is this like positive and negative, having a border where below that everything is stable and above is unstable; or is it just numbers between something and -3 that create stable orbits?

I tested some more powers, and all powers above -3 are stable. Also, all powers above -2 precess.

I wonder if negative dimensions are possible...
Binomial Theorem: ((a+b)^n)= sum k=0->k=n((n!(a^(n-k))(b^k))/(k!(n-k)!))