Suggestions! (new)

What did you draw?
wtg62

Re: Suggestions! (new)

Post by wtg62 »

Another suggestion, for the downloadable version.
Have a link to a change log below where it says: "New: stuff stuff stuff"
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Another suggestion, for the downloadable version.
Yeah, I was thinking about the best way to do that, seeing as my change-logs are, well, pretty verbose. I think I'll put a list of updates on the gravity page (presumably the gravity_full.html), with brief summaries of changes, and with links to the forum topics for the whole story. And I agree, I should link to that list from the game.

In other news, I got the core of the f(r) parser set today. Easier than I had feared to parse strings into equations. Just took a bit o' thought. So now f(r) = ((15*r + 7)^cos(r^2) + 1/r^2) + tan(r), will be totally acceptable. Yay! Next steps are to get the game to deal nicely with the inevitable infinities that will crop up with such a scheme. And then worry about the calculation speed. (Though right now, things work fine for normal use... I ran a bunch of asteroids with a cos(r) law. Can't imagine how slow 3000 planets would go, though! :))
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:
wtg62 wrote:Another suggestion, for the downloadable version.
Yeah, I was thinking about the best way to do that, seeing as my change-logs are, well, pretty verbose. I think I'll put a list of updates on the gravity page (presumably the gravity_full.html), with brief summaries of changes, and with links to the forum topics for the whole story. And I agree, I should link to that list from the game.

In other news, I got the core of the f(r) parser set today. Easier than I had feared to parse strings into equations. Just took a bit o' thought. So now f(r) = ((15*r + 7)^cos(r^2) + 1/r^2) + tan(r), will be totally acceptable. Yay! Next steps are to get the game to deal nicely with the inevitable infinities that will crop up with such a scheme. And then worry about the calculation speed. (Though right now, things work fine for normal use... I ran a bunch of asteroids with a cos(r) law. Can't imagine how slow 3000 planets would go, though! :))
Please do get this version up as soon as you can. I can't wait!

As for dealing with infinities, well... Maybe when it goes to infinity just make the object disappear? I mean, it isn't like it would matter much seeing as odds are it would have skyrocketed to infinity and beyond anyway.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:As for dealing with infinities, well... Maybe when it goes to infinity just make the object disappear? I mean, it isn't like it would matter much seeing as odds are it would have skyrocketed to infinity and beyond anyway.
Actually, after being accelerated to an infinite velocity, it would have an infinite force pulling it back, so it would probably just oscillate. The best way I can think of to solve this problem would be to just cut a force off at a certain point (e.g. make it 100 instead of infinity).
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:In other news, I got the core of the f(r) parser set today. Easier than I had feared to parse strings into equations. Just took a bit o' thought. So now f(r) = ((15*r + 7)^cos(r^2) + 1/r^2) + tan(r), will be totally acceptable.
Wait, but you haven't added this into an update though, right? Because I still can't do that. Please make the next update soon...
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

I hope that update comes soon. I've been waiting for it since I first suggested it. :D
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Stargate38 wrote:I hope that update comes soon. I've been waiting for it since I first suggested it. :D
It has already come.
It's just the auto-updater doesn't work on windows, yet.

Ask Andy to give you a download for the new version.
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

Sorry. I meant to put "@Testtubegames:" before that. Also, from the Alpha in the Wild topic:
I picked #4. I'm glad you had those gift slots, saved me $4.99. :D And yes, I did get a new computer with Windows (old one stopped working)
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

New version (0.26.03) exists, though there is still a problem with the auto-updater. Once that's fixed, I'll post the new version publicly.

Stargate, I'll pm you a way to manually get the new version, so you can play around with the new stuff before then. Anyone else who needs the new version, pm me. The update should be publicly posted soon, thanks to robly today, I've got some clues to what the problem might be.

Edit: Updater may be working now. If you have version 0.26.02 (without tan(r) abilities), open the program again. It will hopefully prompt you on how to download the new one.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

testtubegames wrote:...thanks to robly...
*Claps for Robly* What an awesome guy!

Anyhow, I'm going to talk a bit about menus.
Me and Andy were up a bit late on IRC, but, there was some good ideas flying around.

Later on he's probably going to be considering:

- Better textboxes (if a workaround is found)
- Advanced menu for editing objects (probably a pop-up from a button in the present menu, if not, a full blown menu w/ no popup)
- Making menus slide in from certain sides of the screen (Sorta like SpaceEngine's GUI)
- Readjustment of velocity will work via these 2 methods: Manual variable adjustment, and relaunching.

I have a few things to add to that discussion.

For the new object menu, how about we add an option to configure the trail color and if a trail is made or not?
(This could also be applied to multiple objects at once via the drag'n'select feature)

Also, the ability to set the color again would be neat. (I didn't see anybody bring this up)

Speaking of color... any news on a color picker yet?