Suggestions! (new)

What did you draw?
A Random Player

Re: Suggestions! (new)

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:
testtubegames wrote:Tidal locking is a fairly small effect. Food for thought, though.
Well, considering the scale of this game, I'd say it would be relatively significant. It sounds slightly hard to implement without killing one's computer, but then again, that's what I thought of the tracking thing. Guess I just suck at coding.
Anyway, larger objects get more affected by tidal locking. As such, it sounds like it wouldn't require all that much. I mean, the moon got tidally locked in... What, 4 billion years? Maybe less? But the scales involved are huge. According to [url = wolfram alpha,]http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=ra ... +and+earth[/url] the radius of the moon to distance between moon and earth ratio is about 0.0043. The ratio between an asteroid and the distance between it and a planet in this game is usually around, say 0.1. And the distances are much shorter,so that leaves even more room for tidal lock to join in.

My point is, it's not high priority, but give it a shot someday. I think it's more effective than you think.
Eh, or we could just give angular speed as a slider/input box. Wouldn't be that important :P
(Though tidal locking could be interesting for later.)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Some key-binding suggestions:

Zooming in/out should be able to be done via scroll-wheel, the +/- keys, and the keypad's +/- keys.
Panning should be able to be done via wasd, the arrow keys, and the keypad's arrow keys.
Time reversing should be able to be done via backspace.
Center of mass view should be able to be done via return key/enter.

I've seemed to have been creating a storm of suggestions, hope it isn't too much :P

As for tidal locking, setting a planets rotation speed would be rather cool, but again, it'd sort of need a size variable considering in real life, the side-real time period depends on both rotation speed and body size.
Assuming this is an N-Body simulator, planetary rotation being affected by other objects could be pretty unfeasible, or at least in my opinion.
Having the rotation itself would still be neat, and is probably feasible.

Edit 1: Could we also get longer trajectory predictions? (Maybe even include what happens due to future positions of other objects) If it's not too much to ask for :P
Last edited by wtg62 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
A Random Player

wtg62 wrote:Some key-binding suggestions:

Zooming in/out should be able to be done via scroll-wheel, the +/- keys, and the keypad's +/- keys.
Panning should be able to be done via wasd, the arrow keys, and the keypad's arrow keys.
Time reversing should be able to be done via backspace.
Center of mass view should be able to be done via return key/enter.
Also make escape act like "1" and set pointer mode to "drag". I always find myself reaching for escape, only to realize it doesn't do anything.
exfret

Post by exfret »

Could you add some (possibly optional) labels? I'm having troubles figuring out/remembering what each button does (and it scares me that it might be a 'destroy everything' button or something).
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
A Random Player

exfret wrote:Could you add some (possibly optional) labels? I'm having troubles figuring out/remembering what each button does (and it scares me that it might be a 'destroy everything' button or something).
http://www.testtubegames.com/forums/vie ... =157#p1619
Don't worry, none of the buttons are destroy anything (except the X) yet. Everything else just changes the display.
Edit: I came here after reading the blog, 5 minutes ago there were no posts. Exfret comes, I post, Andy comes after getting GSim.25 out.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:
exfret wrote:Could you add some (possibly optional) labels? I'm having troubles figuring out/remembering what each button does (and it scares me that it might be a 'destroy everything' button or something).
http://www.testtubegames.com/forums/vie ... =157#p1619
Don't worry, none of the buttons are destroy anything (except the X) yet. Everything else just changes the display.
Edit: I came here after reading the blog, 5 minutes ago there were no posts. Exfret comes, I post, Andy comes after getting GSim.25 out.
Ha, yeah, flurry of activity!

When it comes to labels, I completely agree. This was mentioned in that topic Random pointed to, but I forgot to add it to the master list -- thanks for catching me there.
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

I like the collisions feature, but it seems there's a bug. It only works with the r^-2 gravity law. Can you please fix that?
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
exfret

Post by exfret »

Also, saving paths so that they don't go away when you toggle orbits. Instead, just don't display them. You could also have a separate thing to delete paths permanently by, for example, double-clicking the orbit-toggling button. I think this would be good if you either just want to compare how something looks without orbits to how it looks with, or when you may want to return to watching the orbit lines later after watching the planets a bit without the lines. Also, switching to 'track' from 'view the world from it' keeps the orbit lines, even though it shouldn't.

Finally, I thought of a star being un-acceleratable, but it could still move. In my opinion, the 'star' should act like this, but I think this is a kind of picky thing to pick on anyways.

Edit: I deleted a fixed star, but its gravitons have come back to life! (The photons are gone for good, though). Also, where'd the selection-box feature go? Oh, and when you delete something, its orbits don't go away. Also, it's too easy to create a planet/star while clicking on one of the planet/star buttons.

Edit 2: I was so fascinated with the blockiness of the star when you zoom in due to the calculations for the vector graphic being delayed until the zoom is finished (Yay! Big words!) that I zoomed in and in, but then something really glitchy happened. I won't try to explain it here because it's hard to explain and really easy to reproduce. (Just zoom in a whole bunch on anything). Zooming out a bunch does weird stuff, too, when you try to zoom back in.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Stargate38 wrote:I like the collisions feature, but it seems there's a bug. It only works with the r^-2 gravity law. Can you please fix that?
Oh, yeah, I never did extend it properly. That's an easy fix. I plan to work on the list of bugs you've all found over the next few days, and I can get this working.
exfret wrote:Also, saving paths so that they don't go away when you toggle orbits... Also, switching to 'track' from 'view the world from it' keeps the orbit lines, even though it shouldn't.
Yes! Agreed - now that I'm saving the lines anyway, may as well have them reappear after a toggle.
exfret wrote:Finally, I thought of a star being un-acceleratable, but it could still move. In my opinion, the 'star' should act like this, but I think this is a kind of picky thing to pick on anyways.
If you'd have asked me before tracking, I wouldn't have been sure about un-acceleratable stars. But now that we've got tracking, the 'static' stars can indeed move on the screen. All that's missing is the ability to give them a starting velocity in non-tracking mode. So, yeah, I'd like to add that in, too. Maybe as a slightly more advanced feature (I like the fixed stars being static by default... makes it easier to create things)

As for the other bugs you found, exfret, yeah, strange stuff. Who knows what's happening with the zoomed-in pixels. I think the real solution for that is just to set an upper limit on zoom-size. After all, once a star is full-screen, you can probably stop zooming in.

The orbital lines of a deleted planet stick around on purpose, actually - since you may well want to keep the lines around. Maybe you made a neat drawing, but now the planet is careening all weird and is about to ruin the picture... bam, delete the planet. Selection-box feature is definitely going to come back... probably as a mouse-drag coupled with the shift key.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

If you decide to save the lines, add a way to delete them at anytime, as I usually toggle orbits on/off for the purpose of removing the lines (other people probably do too).
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!