Suggestions! (new)

What did you draw?
robly18

Re: Suggestions! (new)

Post by robly18 »

I'll be honest here mate: I think grav sim is a gravity simulator, not a full fledged coding IDE with its own language! Honestly, making laws of physics should be already hard enough for Andy. Let's not make him come up with a whole coding language made in actionscript!
...yet.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

robly18 wrote:I'll be honest here mate: I think grav sim is a gravity simulator, not a full fledged coding IDE with its own language! Honestly, making laws of physics should be already hard enough for Andy. Let's not make him come up with a whole coding language made in actionscript!
...yet.
Programming languages aren't actually that hard to make, if they're simple. A stack/tape based language can probably be implemented in less than a hundred lines of code, though an OOO and line separated language would certainly be harder.
But the great thing about adding a scripting language would be we could add features while we wait! :D
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

What you said:
robly18 wrote:Let's not make him come up with a whole coding language made in actionscript!
...yet.
What you meant to say:
robly18's Thoughts wrote:Let's not make him come up with a whole coding language made in actionscript just for GSim! How about we get him to work on a whole actionscript coding language in Velocity Raptor or make him create a Graph Theory game or a Hyperbola-land game instead? He doesn't really have to work on the GSim.
...yet.
Am I correct?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
exfret

Post by exfret »

A Random Player wrote:But the great thing about adding a scripting language would be we could add features while we wait! :D
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I'm a little wary of the python casualties that might result from it, and I personally think the overdrive command is a little dangerous... Anyways, if you (and I do, too) really want to code Andy's game while he's coding his game, we could just see if releasing the source code (possibly in a password-protected webpage with a password that he sends to us via email if security is an issue for whatsoever reason) would be plausible. Then we can all just mess with it ourselves, creating general relativity and four-way cannons, and, oops... wrong game. But, yeah, GSim source code would be nice, too, I guess. Him releasing the Velocity Raptor code would be epic though. (Oh man, there would be like, four-way cannons, and brontosauruses and 2-way cannons and cars to go in the garages and it would be snowing and you would have the ability to add in text in the level editor and you could play as Prof. Rex and there would be wall jumps and E wouldn't be equal to mc^2 but would rather be a binary operation in which the return is the 1st parameter multiplied by 10 to the power of the 2nd parameter and you would be able to move electrons and neutrinos around using VP (VP=Velocity Raptor, I know I'm bad at acronysation) and you could move the exit around and move VP's starting place around and and and and and and *ESOD* (Exfret Screen of Death)). That's it...

GSim Command Console
Running User Command>Python Overdrive
Retrieving Python...
Sending Python...
Python Sent
Internal Error: The Following Areas have been Corrupted- System.Overdrive
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Wowzers!

A scriptable language within the Gravity Simulator?

Reminds me of all those mods people are able to make for Minecraft, say. With these commands a person could change the whole dynamics of the game!

I'm going to go with robly here, and say -- whoa that sounds like a huge endeavor. So I'm going to hold off on doing it... now of course, if down the road I've got time, and tons of people out there are pining for it, I'd think about it. But for now I'd rather focus on finishing the damn thing ;)

Oh, and exfret, are those real error messages that you've been getting? What crazy 'overdrive' magic are you trying on this poor simulator?
exfret

Post by exfret »

This is supposed to be a joke with my post on the previous page. (Y'all probably didn't see it). Also, what'd you think 'bout my source-code release idea in my previous post?
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

*would use scripting language to auto-create orbits with specified eccentricities*
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:This is supposed to be a joke with my post on the previous page. (Y'all probably didn't see it). Also, what'd you think 'bout my source-code release idea in my previous post?
Ah, okay. I figured it was a joke -- but I wanted to make sure just in case.

Releasing the source code? Doesn't really seem like the best fit for this project. I've got no background in open-source stuffs, and this simulation is built in proprietary software (Unity).

In thinking about 'what you'd use code for', as wtg62 just added to that thought, I think it could be fruitful to make a list of useful things you want a scripting language to help out with. As I said above, my instincts are telling me *not* to do a scripting language (scope creep and all). But even if it doesn't convince me to do it 100%, maybe there'll be some offshoots of the discussion I can add to the game anyway. Like, maybe there's a simple way to add a planet with a defined eccentricity (instead of just being able to launch circular orbits). Anyway, we can take that over to this thread
exfret

Post by exfret »

-Words change when you switch from and to Ptolemy (so you no which one you're in)
-A nice button to change to the 'common' speeds more quickly (ie slowest/x0.1, regular/x1, and fast/x10)
-Grid lines strange for tracking
-Zooming w/ lots of orbits is strange. I want a screenshot of what happens before you change it though. (For some reason, I couldn't find a simple screen-capturing software).
-Examples start in default colors (ie, if your next asteroid is going to be brown, the example's asteroids are brown), which is actually kind of cool, except it also starts with default position or something, so now all the examples are starting in the lower right-hand corner for me.
-Circles are only calculated for the r^-2 law. They don't work for other laws (that or gravity is off or something).
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I have a slight complaint.
So I was working on something in the code editor. I, being a daredevil, was doing the editing in the program and not backing it up in notepad or whatever. I must've made a typo, because suddenly all the numbers I'd been working hard to make up were suddenly gone to a text saying "invalid code".
I request that you refrain from erasing the code inserted in there just because a typo has been made.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012