Alpha in the Wild!

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Alpha in the Wild!

Post by testtubegames »

So, I finally got my act together and posted the new simulator on the web. We'll see how people take to the new Unity version. It hasn't changed much since the v0.26 that we've been discussing, meaning it's still just as rough around the edges, but *it's there for the world to see*!

Huzzah!

In addition to posting the Online version, I also posted the downloadable versions. So people can play around with the simulator on their PC/Mac/Linux systems. That's the 'pro' version we've been talking about -- it's priced at $4.99. It even has one of those official-looking widgets and everything! The sim is, as we all know, currently in alpha; I've added a patch-checker to it, though, so you'll automagically get the updates.

Of course, you all get free keys to it. (Naturally) It's a simple follow-this-link and redeem. Pick one and keep tryin' until you find one that hasn't been used yet. (If you post a quick note I can cross it off the list)

1. *used*
2. *used*
3. *used*
4. *used*
5. *used*
6. *used*
7. *used*
8. *used*
9. *used*
10. *used*

Edit: All gone at the moment! PM me if you're a playtester who missed them and still needs a key!
exfret

Re: Alpha in the Wild!

Post by exfret »

Ha! Caught you in the act of posting this! I get first dibs! (I picked #1). :D

GSim Command Console
Running User Command>Overdrive exfret
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I got number 2. I'll let you know how it goes!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Getting number 3.
I'll see how this goes as well, great to see you getting to this!

Edit: My only complaint so far is that the title menu is... obscured by the window border.
If there is one thing I'd love to see from this, it's the game not being scaled accordingly to the screen resolution.
Not sure if unity would allow that, however. (If I'm a bit vague... what I really mean is- see more stuff on screen if the resolution is higher)
Still though, I'd pay money for this if I could.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:My only complaint so far is that the title menu is... obscured by the window border.
If there is one thing I'd love to see from this, it's the game not being scaled accordingly to the screen resolution.
Not sure if unity would allow that, however. (If I'm a bit vague... what I really mean is- see more stuff on screen if the resolution is higher)
Still though, I'd pay money for this if I could.
Ha, thanks!

I'll take a look at that window border issue, I'm sure that I need to do a lot more testing with the downloadable version -- I know, for instance, things have a tough time scaling up or down. But it sounds like yours is another issue than the one I've encountered, you're saying that if you, say, double the resolution, right now you're just seeing crisper (maybe) lines and edges. But you'd rather everything (planets and such) got shrunk down. Am I understanding you right?
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

testtubegames wrote:I'll take a look at that window border issue, I'm sure that I need to do a lot more testing with the downloadable version -- I know, for instance, things have a tough time scaling up or down. But it sounds like yours is another issue than the one I've encountered, you're saying that if you, say, double the resolution, right now you're just seeing crisper (maybe) lines and edges. But you'd rather everything (planets and such) got shrunk down. Am I understanding you right?
I'm seeing more blurry than crisper.
I don't necessarily mean 'shrunk down' but, instead of being enlarged due to a larger resolution, just at a scale to make it look like my field of view is bigger.
i.e. instead of seeing everything inside a 800x600 rectangle, I see everything inside a 1024x768 rectangle.

The exceptions to this will have to be the title menu, and the save menu however. Those are the only things (currently) that should be scaling accordingly to the resolution.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

800x600
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
1024x768 (Might wanna right click and click 'view image' for this one)
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Some menus are blocked off...
And, despite the scaling, planets remain the same size in pixels despite resolution... hmm...
If you plan on making the game increase fov for higher resolutions (instead of scaling to resolution), don't change this.
Otherwise... yeah, you might not want that :P
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

You should make it so we can export .txt's of our saves in-game.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Some menus are blocked off...
And, despite the scaling, planets remain the same size in pixels despite resolution... hmm...
If you plan on making the game increase fov for higher resolutions (instead of scaling to resolution), don't change this.
Otherwise... yeah, you might not want that :P
Hmm, yeah, not graceful scaling. Gotta work on that -- thanks for the images -- very helpful in showing me what's what.

Exporting .txt's, eh? I hadn't thought of that. Would that be helpful? For one setup or for all your saves at once? I'm trying to think of a player who'd rather make a new file than copy-and-paste somewhere.

The game will definitely have saved slots, so you won't have to be quite so careful about saving the codes all the time. But, in addition to that, exporting txt's could be do-able.
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

I picked #4. I'm glad you had those gift slots, saved me $4.99. :D And yes, I did get a new computer with Windows (old one stopped working)
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)