GSim 0.26.03

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

GSim 0.26.03

Post by testtubegames »

Finally! After some bugs with the auto-updater, here's hoping this update will work for everyone. (If 0.26.02 refuses to update, let me know)

Version 0.26.03

Force Laws gone WILD!

New Features:
-Input generalized force laws (using +,-,*,/,^,sin,cos,tan)
-Save/load codes now carry the force law info with them
-Cross-hairs are toggle-able
-Grids are auto-on...the experiment continues

Yet-To-Come:
-Lots of stuff: editing planets, merging settings, etc

Also note, I've just updated the full version with these new force laws at the moment (the web version is still on 0.26.02). Not sure what the exact differences between the free/full will be, but force laws might well be a piece of it.
A Random Player

Re: GSim 0.26.03

Post by A Random Player »

testtubegames wrote: Also note, I've just updated the full version with these new force laws at the moment (the web version is still on 0.26.02). Not sure what the exact differences between the free/full will be, but force laws might well be a piece of it.
I suppose the full version might be a few versions ahead of the web version, so paying/having a gift code would essentially be a "beta mode" access. I don't remember what game I got that from though.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

I'm sure I could throw out a bunch of suggestions for functions to use in the equation parser, but then again, might not be too useful.

Log, asin, acos, atan, etc. could be used.
I also didn't state sqrt because it's already possible.

Aaaand... yep, auto-updater works for me! Awesome.

Also noticed... Tab makes the GUI invisible... never knew.

As for the full version topic, I'm going to say you really should make the extremely customizable force laws be only in the full version.
People would then see "Oh whoa... there really is a lot more you can do with the free version!"
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Log, asin, acos, atan, etc. could be used.
Aaaand... yep, auto-updater works for me! Awesome.
Also noticed... Tab makes the GUI invisible... never knew.

As for the full version topic, I'm going to say you really should make the extremely customizable force laws be only in the full version.
People would then see "Oh whoa... there really is a lot more you can do with the free version!"
Sure, and in addition to functions, I could add in vital constants, like pi and (gasp!) e. Maybe even tau to appease those tau-ists. Luckily, with the parser I just built, adding new function and constants is easy now. So log, ln, all the rest of the trig functions, sqrt (may as well). Any other *major* ones that people are pining for? (I add the qualifier so we don't head down the path of mad crazy esoteric Bessel functions and the like)

There had been some thoughts about allowing you to use the variable of time, which could be neat, or using the x-distance and y-distance separately. Those changes would take a lot more optimization, and a bigger overhaul of the system, so I'm going to kick them down the road a bit if we want them (until other things are in place).

Ah, and yeah, tab clears the UI - really helpful for taking screenshots.

I'm also thinking force laws would be a good thing to save for the full version.
A Random Player wrote:I suppose the full version might be a few versions ahead of the web version, so paying/having a gift code would essentially be a "beta mode" access. I don't remember what game I got that from though.
Interesting. Though that would mean constant updates. Sounds daunting, until I look back and see I'm already in the midst of a never ending chain of updates :)
robly18

Post by robly18 »

A Random Player wrote:
testtubegames wrote: Also note, I've just updated the full version with these new force laws at the moment (the web version is still on 0.26.02). Not sure what the exact differences between the free/full will be, but force laws might well be a piece of it.
I suppose the full version might be a few versions ahead of the web version, so paying/having a gift code would essentially be a "beta mode" access. I don't remember what game I got that from though.
I remember that being used in a game called Blockade Runner, I think.
Anyway, how about you can use force laws, but if it isn't r^a then you have a limited number of objects you can place?
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Heh, I just discovered that if you give a fixed star velocity (via save code), the game will think it's moving but it's not.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
exfret

Post by exfret »

When I click download new version, it stays at 0% and doesn't seem to be doing something. Also, the history of GSim version looks a bit like this:

GSim version 0.0
GSim version 0.1
GSim version 0.2
GSim version 0.25
GSim version 0.26
GSim 0.26.02
GSim 0.26.03

Let me guess: Next is version 0.26.03 and 1/2.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

robly18 wrote:Anyway, how about you can use force laws, but if it isn't r^a then you have a limited number of objects you can place?
That is another option. At the moment I think I'm leaning towards restricting the forces to r^a, and also tan(), perhaps, just to throw a curve-ball in there. Object-number restrictions could be a piece of the puzzle, though, definitely.
wtg62 wrote:Heh, I just discovered that if you give a fixed star velocity (via save code), the game will think it's moving but it's not.
Ha! True that. Need to get those stars to actually move... since moving-fixed-stars is on my to-do list, after all.
exfret wrote:When I click download new version, it stays at 0% and doesn't seem to be doing something.
Uh oh. What version do you have right now? What system are you on (mac? pc?)
Also, I am pretty notorious for bending the rules when it comes to version-naming-conventions. Especially for the rules I myself have made. But my aim here is to keep it under 1.0 while it is in alpha... and use the 0.xx slot for major changes (new core features and whatnot)... and use the 0.26.xx slot for minor changes/bug fixes.

What is a major change? What is a minor change? Meh. I dunno?
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

I launched 0.26.02 and was notified of the update. After updating, I was asked to restart the game. I did. After the Unity screen disappeared, the screen went black and the program froze up while using half my CPU. I tried killing the process and restarting again. That didn't work. What's wrong?
My OS is Windows 7 and I'm on a PC. I assume I'm running 0.26.03. (no rhyme intended)
exfret

Post by exfret »

testtubegames wrote:Uh oh. What version do you have right now? What system are you on (mac? pc?)
I have 0.26.02. I'm using a mac.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):