GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: GSim 0.29.01 & 0.29.02

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:A value for oblateness ranging from 0 (being a perfect sphere) to 1 (being essentially a disc)?
Well, I was more thinking just the images. So the earth-like one would have continents with blue oceans. The jupiter one would have swirls of slightly different hues. Just to make things more interesting to look at. Is oblateness something you'd like to change? I imagine having lots of little lines zooming across the screen could look strange.
wtg62 wrote:When a star merges with another planet/star, it becomes a planet.
Tracking/Ptolemy's relative to a selections center of mass? (If multiple objects are selected)

Since dust velocity is done with Shift+Drag, how about making it so dust doesn't spawn until shift is released?
Then when shift is released, it spawns dust with the velocity selected until the left mouse-button is released.
I like all those things! Fixes will happen :)
NealCruco wrote:Edit: Oops, looks like we've got a cosmetic error on the menu screen. Picture attached.
Ah, guess I didn't try out *all* the resolutions. Thanks for letting me know!
robly18 wrote:Heh, that thing... Long story short, it's creepy pasta.
Man, Minecraft is incredible in the huge culture that has been built around it. I love that kinda stuff... inside jokes about update-logs to a game? Of course!
A Random Player wrote:For the menu, you could add things like about, credits, version changelog, other things that aren't directly related to the simulation.
Agreed! My picture moving across the credits page, majestic music playing in the background... a list of all the forum-helpers I've had along the way!
exfret

Post by exfret »

Andy wrote:this was not working going from 0.29.01 to 0.29.02?
For me, it just stayed at 0% and didn't appear to do anything. I almost feel like I did something wrongly if no one else is having problems.
wtg62 wrote:A value for oblateness ranging from 0 (being a perfect sphere) to 1 (being essentially a disc)?
So would this be for how much more dust in the center?
Edit (not really, because I'm still in the act of posting): OHH -> H2O (Sorry, couldn't resist), you meant for planets. I'd love that, that would be cool. In fact, why not just be able to draw your own planets or planet textures? That would be cool. Probably a later on feature, though. I also think it would make the sim a lot more mess-around-with-stuff-like if you could have things like a 'gravity mouse' that exerted gravitational pull when you clicked, or being able to 'boost' planets to see what happens, or, even cooler, being able to drive a spaceship around. That would allow you to sample the gravity of a lot of areas and see how orbits go without having to place down an asteroid. Speaking of gravity sampling, gravity wells would be very helpful for you to add in. On another note, you could also add in inverting when flinging planets (e.g. you're dragging the initial velocity instead of like a catapult).
wtg62 wrote:Next up, SpaceEngine.
Which is?
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

exfret wrote: For me, it just stayed at 0% and didn't appear to do anything. I almost feel like I did something wrongly if no one else is having problems.
But what version was this on? You launched the sim and clicked a button to download the update. Did you do this on v0.28.01 or v0.29.01? In other words, were you trying to download v0.29.01 or v0.29.02?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:
exfret wrote: For me, it just stayed at 0% and didn't appear to do anything. I almost feel like I did something wrongly if no one else is having problems.
But what version was this on? You launched the sim and clicked a button to download the update. Did you do this on v0.28.01 or v0.29.01? In other words, were you trying to download v0.29.01 or v0.29.02?
Agreed, just wanna make 100% sure that you downloaded the lastest version from Humble (0.29.01) in the past 24 hrs... and then had the update problem.

Also, having a different result that everyone else doesn't mean you necessarily are doing something wrong. Kinda the nature of the technology beast. (Maybe it's a Mac problem, say or something specific about the software. Or gremlins in the internet)
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

I noticed you can't type +, -, E, or e in the mass input fields.
Could you fix that, so we can use e-notation?

Also, 'Snap pos to grid' doesn't work for dust.

And... could you perhaps make it so we can delete dust particles with the cursor tool (shift+drag)?

Edit, found more bugs:

Pressing the CoM button doesn't change dust particles position to match the new viewpoint.
tan(r) orbits make dust... magically disappear.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

I found another bug. In the "Binary Stars" example, the two stars are actually classified as planets. As a result, they don't illuminate.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Seeing as the object graphics can now rotate...

How about we make it so that the rotation is the same as the heading?
(Or even better, we could use it in a suggestion suggested a long time ago... planet rotation)
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

wtg62 wrote:Could you fix that, so we can use e-notation?
Also, 'Snap pos to grid' doesn't work for dust.
And... could you perhaps make it so we can delete dust particles with the cursor tool (shift+drag)?
Pressing the CoM button doesn't change dust particles position to match the new viewpoint.
tan(r) orbits make dust... magically disappear.
I'll see what I can do about the mass notations, right now it's really simple to just allow digit-input... but I'll try to expand it.
I'll add in snapping for dust, sure! And deleting with shift+drag sounds good. I'll likely leave out 'selecting individual pieces', for performance reasons. But the drag+click+delete is no performance hog, so why not.
CoM bug noted and fixed for the next update.
What's this about tan(r)? Hm. I tried it out and it didn't do that, at least for how I'd placed stars and such. What you notice may be connected to the fact that dust is heavily optimized... calculations are done much less frequently than for other objects (about 1/40th as much), which means dust would be more likely to glitch out and zoom to infinity near a huge force... and for that reason I also added in a shutoff, so over a force of 10, or so, the dust disappears. That seems to prevent most of the 'zooming away' problems. Even in 1/r^2 you'll notice this if you slow time down and zoom in close on a star. The dust disappears at a certain radius from the star. (Note, I need to add in a time-step based dependance, too. Since slower time should raise the force cutoff -- you're making more calculations per 'second')
Ah, and I'll fix the binary 'stars', thanks! Funny, I didn't even think of that, but it's neat there's now a real difference between the stars and planets :)
wtg62 wrote:...a suggestion suggested a long time ago... planet rotation)
Why the hell not, right? If the people want it, the people get it! The direction won't be based on the heading, though, since conservation of angular momentum wouldn't like that much (the earth spins like a top, ever in the same direction and speed... -ish) It'll be something you set at the beginning (pressing some key as you launch an object, say), and down the road we can think about how it influences collisions and tidal forces.
exfret

Post by exfret »

It says I'm version 29.01 and I did do the download from humble bundle when 29.01 was posted.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

So when you tried to update, and it just stayed at 0%, you were on 0.29.01? Or did you try to use the updater on 0.28.01, fail, and then download 0.29.01 manually?