Priorities

What did you draw?
exfret

Re: Priorities

Post by exfret »

robly18 wrote:Too Long; Didn't Read.

Just saying, exfret, you might want to practice the art of paragraphs. Bolding and yellow(ing?) text isn't enough.
Sorry. :oops:
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

So now that my first choice is complete, can I choose again? If so, I'd like save slots. It would be convenient to save three or so save codes without having to copy and paste. And it doesn't seem like it would be too hard either...
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:So now that my first choice is complete, can I choose again? If so, I'd like save slots. It would be convenient to save three or so save codes without having to copy and paste. And it doesn't seem like it would be too hard either...
You got it! Save slots, coming right up!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Getting to work on the next update -- and want to make sure I've got a good list o' stuff:

a) Save Slots
b) More functions you can type in
c) Fix some dust bugs (doesn't work with relativity, etc)
d) Fix the appearance of the black holes -- so they don't have residual star-parts
e) Various other bug-fixes
f) Auto-fire by pressing 'f', suggested by someone on reddit -- and I love the autofire for the dust, so I'm excited to give that a go.

1) also want to update the online version, it doesn't even have the tutorial yet, gasp!

...and whatever else I can sneak in. Anyone else want to throw their hats into the proverbial priority ring, perchance?
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Save slots. Yes. Maybe have GSim save our simulations as .txt files?
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

wtg62, you have always been able to save your creations as .txt files. Make something, click the save/load button, and copy and paste the text in the top box.
In-game saves aren't here yet, but they're on the list and on Andy's mind as he makes the next version.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

I was aware.
Just thought *maybe* would add some convenience.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Yeah, in-game saves definitely. But making a txt file with your stuff in it *is* something that Unity can do. Would you want to make individual .txt files for each thing you make? Or would you want a way to print out all N of your currently saved stuff into one file? I guess the question is, how do you see yourself using it?
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Wait...you two have given me an amazing idea. Maybe this is what you were saying, but here it is.
Before, my idea of in-game saves was slots that were actually part of the game. They would only be accessible from inside the game, and there would be a limited number of them. But wtg62 just made me think...What if GSim could load external .txt files as game saves? I already have a modest collection of saves that I copy-and-pasted into text files, so this would be so much better than internal save slots. Here's how it would work:
Instead of seeing two boxes when you clicked the save/load button, there would just be two buttons. The Save button would export the code for whatever was currently on screen to a text file, located in a pre-chosen folder (by default, the folder GSim runs out of). Maybe you'd get to pick a name, or maybe GSim would choose it for you. The Load button would have you pick a file (maybe using the OS's load dialog, or maybe just by specifying a file path), and then it would interpret the contents of that file as save code. If there was an error, it would tell you so.
The good things about this save/load method is that you could edit the text files all you wanted, and then load them straight from the program, without copy-and-pasting. Currently, in order to load a save, you have to open the file in a plain text editor, copy all the text to your clipboard, paste it into GSim's load box, and click Load. A bit of a hassle, especially when running in full-screen. This method would make saving and loading much better.
Is this how you envisioned saves too, Andy? Does this sound possible?
robly18

Post by robly18 »

I agree with Neal. Sounds relatively easy to pull off.

This would also make ARP's python magic easier to pull off I would assume.

EDIT: ARP pointed out this is my 404th post.

Witty comment not found.
Last edited by robly18 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012