GSim 0.29.03

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

GSim 0.29.03

Post by testtubegames »

New-version-time! The patch has been posted, so hopefully the standard update will work for you. If not, the humble version hasn't been changed yet, but will soon.

Version 0.29.03 (Full Version only)

-Rotate planets! (select a planet, and change its deg/s variable in the editor menu)
-Ptolemy view now takes rotation into account, so you'll see the sun set and rise, for instance.
-Transverse forces have been added, as a completely separate function. Set the function t(r) to something non-zero to add such a force
-If a planet has a name, it'll now be displayed underneath it.
-Dust now snaps to the grid
-Flinging dust in circular orbits now works
-Drag with shift to select dust
-Collision bug that exfret noticed has been squashed
-Moving stars are now saved properly
-If the sim is paused when you open the load screen, it'll still be paused when you close the load screen.
-Extra dimensions added (at least for the sake of physics, check them out in the physics tab)
-Lagrange Tracking. Instead of 'Tracking' or 'Ptolemy', press the 'Lagrange' button when you've selected a star, say... then click on a planet. This will lock their rotation in you view.
-5E10 notation added for the mass input
-Value of G now properly changes again.

Whoa, that's more than I expected!

To come:
-I'd like to make the name-display be toggle-able
-The Lagrange tracking needs to be easier/more intuitive to use
-Rotation should be settable for planets you're about to launch, not just ones that already exist
-Potentials -- I'm working on the algorithms for this, but it's not ready yet
-Black Holes -- pondering the best/easiest way to implement General Relativity. Might be a big task, but I'll give it a go!
-The normal list o' stuff.

So yeah, some of the things are rough around the edges still, but I wanted to get a build out ASAP. Since you all are being helpful by sharing your priorities, I want to add those things quickly if possible.
A Random Player

Re: GSim 0.29.03

Post by A Random Player »

Um... Are you sure this is right? Everything's broken (minor vertical gridlines don't show, no examples load, the demo at the beginning is just a diagonal line, objects can't be added...)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

Auto-Updater problem: I can't add anything, and the display looks weird. What's that diagonal line?

EDIT: I see someone else is having the same problem.
Attachments
What Happened?
What Happened?
GSIMPROBLEM.png (160.79 KiB) Viewed 16385 times
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Stargate38 wrote:Auto-Updater problem: I can't add anything, and the display looks weird. What's that diagonal line?

EDIT: I see someone else is having the same problem.
I love how you got all ready to enter a weird force, but then realized it was broken :P
I think the diagonal line is part of the beginning demo (remember, where it flings an asteroid as demonstration?)
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Oh, crudbuckets! I've seen that problem before -- though strange I didn't encounter / am not encountering it myself right now. Something to do with the order in which stuff loads. (The level loads before the gravity sim is up and running... then makes function calls that can't be answered yet. That kinda thing.)

I'll get on it.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Okay -- hopefully the problem is solved. In kind of a rush, so the solution is this:

If you haven't updated to this version yet (and are on a PC), go ahead and update. Things should be fixed.

If you have updated (or aren't on a PC), go grab the version from humble, which will then auto-update you to the working v .03
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

I can't get it to work. I get a file called crafty_error.txt which has the following:

Code: Select all

cannot apply file:
C:\Users\Cody\Downloads\GSim_Windows2901_1\GSim_Windows_Data\resources.assets

cannot apply file:
C:\Users\Cody\Downloads\GSim_Windows2901_1\GSim_Windows_Data\sharedassets0.assets

Why is it saying that?
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Stargate38 wrote:Why is it saying that?
Boo-hiss. Thanks for passing that along. I'll try and get a fix out tomorrow. Seems connected with the updater system. I guess maybe it hates the idea that I remade the v.03 patch?

//Updated the updater. Good, I guess. Except it broke stuff and means I'll have to rebuild it. So tomorrow it is.

//Man, I hate this updater system. Wish it wasn't the only one with glowing reviews. Note to self, write a review.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: GSim 0.29.04

Post by testtubegames »

Okay. This should do it.

To get the latest version:

Step 1. Have version 0.29.01 (which is the current one you can download from humble)
Step 2. The auto-updater should get you to 0.29.04

I tested this backwards and forwards on my mac, and everything is working now. Here's hoping I didn't muck it up again!

Anyway, excited for you all to finally be able to rotate some planets and enjoy the sim with fewer collision/dust/etc bugs than before.
NealCruco

Re: GSim 0.29.04

Post by NealCruco »

Sorry, but you did muck it up again. I'm on a PC, running Windows 7. I downloaded 0.29.01 from Humble Bundle (overwriting 0.29.02), updated, and quit the game as instructed. When I quit, I noticed that two new files had appeared in the game's folder. One was "_patch". The other was "crafty_error.txt". When I exited the folder and reentered, "_patch" had disappeared, but "crafty_error.txt" remained. I tried opening the game, and, after the config window and Unity screen, was met with a blank screen and a frozen program. I had to overwrite 0.29.04 with 0.29.01 just to get the sim to work again.
Oh, by the way, crafty_error.txt said this.
"cannot apply file:
C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Other stuff\Programs\Games\Gravity Simulator\GSim_Windows_Data\resources.assets

cannot apply file:
C:\Users\<user name>\Documents\Other stuff\Programs\Games\Gravity Simulator\GSim_Windows_Data\sharedassets0.assets"

Sorry...I can't imagine how frustrated you must be with the auto-updater.