Relativity?

What did you draw?
AlternateGravity

Re: Relativity?

Post by AlternateGravity »

I was just thinking that Gravitational Waves would also be a good addition to the simulation.
Gravitons would be my favorite particle as their existence could prove extra dimensions.
exfret

Post by exfret »

YAAY (I agree)! Though I've heard Andy say this would be hard.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:YAAY (I agree)! Though I've heard Andy say this would be hard.
That's true... though I also said that relativity would be too hard. So what do I know?

I went hunting to see if there is a simple way to model gravitational waves, and I think I found one. (Yeah, wikipedia, didn't have to look long :) )

So that would mean two black holes orbiting one another, even with initially circular orbits, would slowly spiral into one another as their energy is radiated away as gravitational waves.

Now, as for the other parts of gravitational waves... like how the stretch spacetime in funky ways... those I'll probably be leaving out for the moment. (Since that'd be a bit more involved, figuring out how to properly shrink and stretch the images... as well as keeping track of where particular wave-fronts are.) A rippling effect would be neat, though.
AlternateGravity

Post by AlternateGravity »

Also I was just thinking about how the gravity simulator only simulates Gravity and not electromagnetism. Could you make it so that we can give planets and stars an electrical charge and magnetic field in the gravity simulator?
Gravitons would be my favorite particle as their existence could prove extra dimensions.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

AlternateGravity wrote:Also I was just thinking about how the gravity simulator only simulates Gravity and not electromagnetism. Could you make it so that we can give planets and stars an electrical charge and magnetic field in the gravity simulator?
And then let's take a charged star (which by the way would in reality quickly neutralize by attracting opposite dust), and add enough mass to form a black hole. Then send an asteroid into it, and it'll wormhole to somewhere else, maybe even out of the sim and into reality!
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

AlternateGravity wrote:Also I was just thinking about how the gravity simulator only simulates Gravity and not electromagnetism. Could you make it so that we can give planets and stars an electrical charge and magnetic field in the gravity simulator?
I like that idea because it adds a way to creative selective forces, i.e. forces that only apply between certain objects. In fact, the GSim already has selective forces- stationary stars don't feel gravity, and nothing feels gravity from asteroids. Of course, asteroids are just labelled as "massless," but I'm sure Andy just left out calculating their gravity as well to prevent needlessly lagging the sim. Adding other forces that only act between certain objects (springs) would be nice, and you could also have the ability to edit their own force laws. Related to this, I'd still like Andy to add in the option for moving unacceleratable stars (unless he's already doing/done that). It seems like a quick thing to do, and not that random of a suggestion...
ARP wrote:And then let's take a charged star (which by the way would in reality quickly neutralize by attracting opposite dust), and add enough mass to form a black hole. Then send an asteroid into it, and it'll wormhole to somewhere else, maybe even out of the sim and into reality!
First, why does reality even matter any more. It's a simulator, which is "a machine with a similar set of controls designed to provide a realistic imitation" (via Google). See? Simulators totally have nothing to do with reality! Anyways, if you succeed in your evil plan to run an asteroid into the Earth by playing with GSim, then you'll totally ruin my evil and yet-so-subtle plan to control the fora! :evil:
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):