GSim 0.30.02

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: GSim 0.30.02

Post by testtubegames »

Okay, I think I solved the bug you ran into, Neal, and I put an updated version in the secret hiding spot.

I upped the number of objects you can share, too. So now it lets you save a scene with... well... more. I first changed the limit to 2000 objects, but found you'd get codes that are way too long that they'd break the text-box. So now the limit you generally hit is the text-box cap, which I set to 10,000 characters. (I will note, long codes are now automatically compressed, so with 10,000 characters you can get a scene with about 1000 objects, in my experience).

This should be solve-able, though. I just need to make the text-boxes a bit smarter. But for now, there's a limit.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Great! I'll check it out when I'm at my computer.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

I've loaded up the game, and haven't run into any bugs yet. However, I seem to have lost GSim_savefile.txt. As a result, I'll have to re-merge all of my saves...but I'm still feeling too lazy to do that. I'll do it sometime tomorrow, and see if everything works properly.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Bug: Scrolling on a window above GSim (that's focused) causes GSim to zoom. I haven't downloaded the latest version, but that only affected the code-loading, so I doubt the bug's disappeared.
Wait, oops, this isn't happening anymore. Quite strange. I'll leave this here in case it happens again. (Specifically, I'm on windows, and the one window above GSim was Windows Explorer (the folder view).)

Also, a bug from quite a few versions ago (the addition of dust) that I should probably report: Dust takes into account the position of the body one step ahead when calculating forces, so they orbit an imaginary point ahead of the bodies. Test by creating a planet with speed ~100 and finding where dust falls (Edit: Obviously you need to use Ptolemy on the planet). Also happens in accelerating* reference frames, when a planet is in orbit around another object (star?) - the dust orbits a point slightly prograde of the planet.

*Einstein grumbles..

Edit: Restart tutorials does not reset the configuration. This is minor since the configuration is cleared in a bit, but still.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Cool -- GSim 0.30.02 is posted up on Humble. Just a couple more bug fixes compared to the last version I hid on the servers for you all.
A Random Player wrote:Bug: Scrolling on a window above GSim (that's focused) causes GSim to zoom...
Also, a bug from quite a few versions ago (the addition of dust) that I should probably report: Dust takes into account the position of the body one step ahead when calculating forces, so they orbit an imaginary point ahead of the bodies...
Edit: Restart tutorials does not reset the configuration. This is minor since the configuration is cleared in a bit, but still.
Haven't been able to reproduce the scrolling problem either. But if it comes up again, let me know.

I fixed the problem with where dust aims -- surprised that stayed hidden for so long! (Tracking mode was connected to this problem, too... the screen would track slightly ahead of the moving object.) But it's all better now.

I'll take a look at that tutorials bug for the next update.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

I recently switched to a 1920x1200 monitor, and noticed that GSim's circles are a bit vertically stretched - physically, one circle I measured was 9.9 cm by 11 cm. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my settings (another circle I measured was correct) or with GSim.
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Huh - weird. I know I've had problems in the past with fullscreen resolution not behaving that well. I've solved it, though, in TES, so I'm hoping that's the problem here. Added it to the list.