Tried Relativity

What did you draw?
AlternateGravity

Tried Relativity

Post by AlternateGravity »

I found that when I turned relativity on and collided two small objects at really close to the speed of light with merger on they could produce a black hole that was much larger than the sum of the two masses. I found though that if the merger was off then they would just pass through each other and continue moving in the same direction at about the same speed. Why don't they fall back to each other when the merger is off? I also found that black holes would merge even with merging off even though none black hole masses would not.
Gravitons would be my favorite particle as their existence could prove extra dimensions.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Tried Relativity

Post by testtubegames »

I'll state to begin that the relativity in the sim should be taken with a grain of salt. It should work well to a first approximation, but might break down pretty quickly if you take it too seriously. But with that said...

Colliding two objects and ending up with a merged object of larger mass? Yes, indeed! That's a byproduct of E=mc2, where the kinetic energy from the moving objects gets converted into mass.

As for "why they didn't fall together if the merging was off", I imagine they were well-past the escape velocity of each other? If they were allowed to collide, they would have stuck together, but barring that, they'll just fly away to infinity.

The reason black holes merge even with merging off is that otherwise very strange stuff happens. If something falling into a BH didn't disappear when it hit the event horizon - its velocity would actually go *faster* than the speed of light, causing some very strange stuff to happen. So, basically, it needs to get swallowed up to prevent a breakdown of the physics in the game.

Put another way: I can approximate a planet as something you can pass through like a ghost... but I can't model a black hole like that.
AlternateGravity

Re: Tried Relativity

Post by AlternateGravity »

I also tried to put some negative mass in the middle of a black hole to create a wormhole but when I did that both masses would just disappear.
Gravitons would be my favorite particle as their existence could prove extra dimensions.