The 'Hello' Thread

A spot for all things TestTube
AlternateGravity

Re: The 'Hello' Thread

Post by AlternateGravity »

Hey My name is Anders. I found this site from the higher dimensions forum. The other members of the forum used your planetary simulator to simulate planetary orbits using different inverse laws that would be the laws that universes with other numbers of dimensions would have. Unfortunately inverse cube laws do not produce stable orbits which would be bad news for 4d planets as inverse cube laws are the simplest laws for a 4d Universe to have :( Right now I'm trying to figure out if there is any other inverse law besides simple inverse cube laws that could be applied to 4d that would produce stable orbits.
Gravitons would be my favorite particle as their existence could prove extra dimensions.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Hey, Anders -- welcome!

Sounds like you're thinking about some interesting stuff. I love those thought experiments where you envision a world with differing numbers of dimensions. As you say, 4D would lead to 1/r^3 gravity, with unstable orbits.

I ran into this kind of stuff when I was working on calculating E Fields in the Electric Shocktopus. Unbeknownst to me, the algorithm I was using depended on the number of dimensions. Since the game is in 2D, this led to an electric field in 2d. Which meant point charges gave off fields at 1/r instead of 1/r^2. Took me a while to notice -- but when I did, it was a 'whoa' moment.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
exfret

Post by exfret »

Oh, hi. I guess that explains your username. I'm exfret, by the way (just because you totally wouldn't have known that if not for my telling you, not like it's on this post or anything).
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

exfret wrote:Oh, hi. I guess that explains your username. I'm exfret, by the way (just because you totally wouldn't have known that if not for my telling you, not like it's on this post or anything).
Ah, crap, I've been calling you Steve this whole time!
robly18

Post by robly18 »

testtubegames wrote:
exfret wrote:Oh, hi. I guess that explains your username. I'm exfret, by the way (just because you totally wouldn't have known that if not for my telling you, not like it's on this post or anything).
Ah, crap, I've been calling you Steve this whole time!
Steve? I've been calling him "that one kid"!

Everything I've ever known is a lie!
Convincing people that 0.9999... = 1 since 2012
exfret

Post by exfret »

I wonder what Treavis thinks of this.
Nobody ever notices my signature. ):
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

exfret wrote:I wonder what Treavis thinks of this.
This whole time I've been calling you █████.
That's right. You are 5 blocks.
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hi,

My name is Rose, Love everything Science and games and all things that combine these, naturally.
When I am not playing games I have spent time designing the Science Deck, (a deck of playing cards) because I like Science being part of life not just confined to books.
Looking forward to chatting about Science and games!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Hi, there, Rose! Welcome. Your Science Deck is absolutely beautiful -- I'm a fan and glad to be a KS backer.