Suggestions! (new)

What did you draw?
testtubegames
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions! (new)

Post by testtubegames »

Ah, yes, the sfx button -- thanks for the reminder. I went down the list today and checked some things off, fixing bugs and such. I'll write that one on there.

As you can see, the auto-fire makes it very easy to add in a bunch of objects...
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

May I suggest implementing a display of relative velocity for a planet?

What I mean is, if you're tracking a planet (be it in ptolemy mode, lagrange mode, or normal tracking mode), if you click on something else, it shows not only its speed relative to the grid, but to the planet you're tracking. If you're not tracking a planet, then the relative velocity is the velocity relative to the grid.

This could make creating systems w/ tidal locking a whole lot easier.

Also, small bug, whenever you're using the snap pos to grid option, whatever you create seems to have some velocity to it already (probably because my mouse isn't where the planet is in this case).
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

By a display of relative velocity, do you mean have it written alongside the absolute velocity? (Uh oh, I just said 'absolute velocity' for a sim that includes General Relativity... best sweep that under the rug and move on...) I don't see a problem with adding that.

The velocity that objects get when position snapping is turned on is a bit of a challenge. I understand how you want to be able to click and create objects with 0 velocity. But, sometimes, you'll want to give them a slight velocity, and it'll be tough to tell those two instances apart. I may make some sort of trigger, where unless you move the mouse a certain amount, it'll assume you don't want to add a velocity. If you move it past that amount, then it adds in a velocity (even if you move the mouse back close to the object). Does that make sense?
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Sounds good to me, and yes, I'd like it written next to the "absolute velocity." :lol:
This message has been brought to you by wtg62, duh!
Stargate38

Post by Stargate38 »

Sorry for rushing you, but it's been a month, and you haven't posted any news about the next version. What's taking so long? :?
I LOVE your Gravity Simulator! :)
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Stargate38 wrote:Sorry for rushing you, but it's been a month, and you haven't posted any news about the next version. What's taking so long? :?
No need to apologize to me -- I'm sorry to you for the delays. I've been busier with contract work than I expected... but after your message I got back to work on the Gravity Sim. I've made some nice fixes that have been on the back burner for a bit (the screen is resizable, for instance... ), and will get a new version of it posted within the week.

Sorry again for the wait!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

The screen's resizable in the upcoming version? As in the game window? But when I first joined, you said:
testtubegames wrote:Fixed window size: unfortunately a constraint of Unity, the program I'm using to make it. I will check if there are any loopholes, though.
I suppose you found a loophole. Regardless, this is great news.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

NealCruco wrote:I suppose you found a loophole. Regardless, this is great news.
Indeed I did - boy am I going to be glad to get rid of that screen-resolution dialog box.
Bartian

Post by Bartian »

Just started playing with this. Very cool. So I don't know all the features yet.

Would be good to be able to setup the initial conditions, then enter a sequence of "events" to happen at various times

like: 10000s deltav ship 100 m/s @ 0 deg (At 10,000 seconds do a delta velocity of 100 m/s at an angle of 0 degrees from the current flight path)
15000s deletav ship 100 m/s @ 180 deg (retro burn) etc....
just plan your mission like this....
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

Bartian wrote:Just started playing with this. Very cool. So I don't know all the features yet.

Would be good to be able to setup the initial conditions, then enter a sequence of "events" to happen at various times

like: 10000s deltav ship 100 m/s @ 0 deg (At 10,000 seconds do a delta velocity of 100 m/s at an angle of 0 degrees from the current flight path)
15000s deltav ship 100 m/s @ 180 deg (retro burn) etc....
just plan your mission like this....
Welcome to the forums, Bartian!
I think what you're asking for is a little out of scope. In fact, considering your choice of words, you may have misunderstood what this sim is. GSim doesn't simulate spaceships flying around; it simulates how cosmic bodies interact- stars, planets, asteroids, etc. So while you can change many properties of whatever bodies you have on screen, that's just for fun. Obviously, cosmic bodies can't change heading and velocity like spaceships can. So if you want a body to do a 180, slow down, etc, without something else around to push/pull on it, you're going to have to play God and manually edit that body's properties. Having a planet double its speed, for example, without warning or impetus breaks the First Law of Thermodynamics, one of physics' fundamental laws. Therefore, I don't believe what you're asking for will be added.