In the game:
-Boss Fight!
-Music & Sound Effects
-Animations and Instructions

Yet to be added:
-Easter Eggs
-Bug fixes
-etc?

So go grab the game for Mac/PC off the Humble Widget. Oh, and of course, here's some codes for you -- yay for playtesters and forum-goers! Name 'em as you take 'em. (If they are all gone, just pm me.)

1. x
2. x
3. x
4. x
5. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=aqSd3SWHpaH2ys3W
6. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=AuCVtRsqA6frYuWx
7. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=Uu6VWmvdv5ysm3M6
8. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=TNcY7BdZ5WY4XBbT
9. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=MuHZn2kKR5dSXSUX
10. https://www.humblebundle.com/s?gift=x8Rn5FfmSb5CreV5
NealCruco

Re: Version 0.3 (Beta!)

Post by NealCruco »

I used #1. I can't wait to finally play this! I did know the secret location of version 0.1, but never got around to playing it.
Edit: Andy, you got the Windows and Mac versions mixed up. Selecting Windows gives you the Mac version, and vice versa. I just downloaded both to ensure I didn't pick the wrong version.
A Random Player

Post by A Random Player »

Got #2. Admittedly I feel a bit guilty taking it, since I wasn't already a playtester, but I could definitely help. (After all, that's what the whole "playtesting" thing is for, right?)

Edit: Am I being stupid - I can't find the file to run the thing. Is it Shocktopus\Shocktopus.app\Contents\MacOS\Shocktopus?
$1 = 100¢ = (10¢)^2 = ($0.10)^2 = $0.01 = 1¢ [1]
Always check your units or you will have no money!
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

A Random Player wrote:Got #2. Admittedly I feel a bit guilty taking it, since I wasn't already a playtester, but I could definitely help. (After all, that's what the whole "playtesting" thing is for, right?)

Edit: Am I being stupid - I can't find the file to run the thing. Is it Shocktopus\Shocktopus.app\Contents\MacOS\Shocktopus?
Are you on Mac OS X? Andy got the versions mixed up. If you're on Windows, take the Mac download. If not, I can't help.
A Random Player

NealCruco wrote:
A Random Player wrote:Got #2. Admittedly I feel a bit guilty taking it, since I wasn't already a playtester, but I could definitely help. (After all, that's what the whole "playtesting" thing is for, right?)

Are you on Mac OS X? Andy got the versions mixed up. If you're on Windows, take the Mac download. If not, I can't help.
Thanks Neal, that worked perfectly!

Preliminary stuff.
Noticing random lag spikes occasionally. Edit: This is making the game relatively hard to play. (Especially the charge-jump.)
Only right shift works to charge.

Edit: Getting used to the wall-jump takes quite some time. I keep holding Up and Left.

Edit: Menu buttons are not very prominent, especially home button. Same for the level editor buttons.

Edit: Level editor time tiles need to be doubleclicked. It wasn't that obvious. (Of course, this will be negated by addition more instructions, which will come later.)
Edit: No they don't.

Edit: Hey, guys, don't try to read into unallocated memory. I bluescreened by accidentally nextleveling the last level editor.

More edit:
Dude, that last star in level 17. The force weakens quite a lot around there :P

Idea: Different signs for puns vs help/science. I can see someone getting confused on some of the more complex puns (ex. I'm on "Coulomb's law was once only a bill" right now).

Woah, in the last level, I
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Hit a missile on Robo-Yeti.
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
You know, I was about to say "nice easter egg" until...
Edit: Successfully beat the last level (though looks like I had skipped 27 and 30.)

Edit: That reminds me: Rectangle tool in level editor please?

Edit: Stars on first playthrough:

Code: Select all

2X21X

testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

Ah, weird about the Mac/PC thing. Thanks for pointing it out -- I've emailed Humble about that, so it should be fixed shortly.
A Random Player wrote:Admittedly I feel a bit guilty taking it, since I wasn't already a playtester
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 11.57.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-01 at 11.57.05 PM.png (33.64 KiB) Viewed 21231 times
Random... or BARP as I used to call you, you've most certainly earned a lifetime supply of TTG games. Goes for all the other awesome and rad forum-goers. I couldn't do this stuff without the community here.

Now onto the feedback...
A Random Player wrote:Noticing random lag spikes occasionally....
Hmm, yeah I'll need to optimize and make sure things don't lag. Right shift I agree needs to be added (darn Unity differentiates the two shift keys, giving me an added hurdle of rewriting some code just for that weird case).

Also, yikes, sorry to hear you bluescreened! The game is supposed to (naturally) not let you advance to some uncreated level... but apparently me *wanting* that and me *programming* that are two different things. Thanks for the heads up there.
A Random Player wrote:Dude, that last star in level 17. The force weakens quite a lot around there :P
Teehee

Fair point about the puns vs science. I'll chew on that one a bit.

Rectangle tool: can do!
A Random Player

testtubegames wrote: Random... or BARP as I used to call you, you've most certainly earned a lifetime supply of TTG games. Goes for all the other awesome and rad forum-goers. I couldn't do this stuff without the community here.
Yeah, I suppose these links were more for the forumers in addition to the prior playtesters, as opposed to just updating the old testers.
More stuff:
I've noticed that occasionally, currents do not disappear while going to another level. Can't seem to find a reason, though. And they can't seem to be overridden/"unstuck" without a relaunch of the game. They persist in level editor too.

Level editor stars persist in the "absolute spot" if you delete a level before it; they don't move. If the level-slot with the stars no longer exists, remaking a level there persists the old stars. Closing/relaunching doesn't fix it, no matter if the slot with the stars actually contains a level. (I think I got the stars to disappear once, but I can't reproduce it.)

Most importantly for the level editor, I can't get switches/buttons to work. Additionally, guns don't work after the edit button has been clicked (though going from the menu works). Seems like it's intentional to make editing easier, but the functionality doesn't seem quite right. (A good way might be to "reset" the level when you click editor, and start it when you close the box).

While we wait for the switches and buttons to be fixed or clarified, here's some levels I'd made without them:
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
Grab-n-go:
Get them and hide!

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Grab-n-go"-eNqr1iEITIwhGAqMLBEkVgXUAkYGEExAjbEJMaogaHgD5DiBAWMDHUNT6iNjo1GzR80m0my0FGmKJekaG1Mf6egYUgarq5VKlHSiY4GoWikNxKoFAGWF9X4=]
Falling Stairs:
Don't fall into the spikes below or get hit by the missiles from above!

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Falling Stairs"-eNqr1gECY0PiiGEOjCwpNMDQXMfUFEiDCdxqIIiQSrhCgmqRVRKhHlM5fh1Y1RPShUcTHn34deHVS4xWVN3I0U2kbtwuIMkA7GaQagSaKYZm5JqCbhYoYECmGZugGmdiTBoJMszYFEwZokBTU4oQ1AjD6mqlEiWd6FggqlZKA7FqAQ+05KA=]
Dig Fast:
"Hey so that's what 'Timed Tiles' means"
PS. Timed currents are broken visually
[Not quite sure all 3 stars are possible; should be though]

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Dig Fast"-eNqr1hlcwNiUgAJDUxDCD4wsCavBYY6xAUEX4ldhaI6mBiyAqQhdHUQIUzGSOEI1XBCLFlQJoB40xdRCI9BsHZLMxa+cHBMJaSDTTEwEykCjKQIDGZsQayQ8AHUM8UBohsUOq6uVSpR0onVGwSggDAwNSVRiaABCgxWYmKGh2NGcMAqwpmlsKR+UuA2J0GowNHxpYoKGYquV0oB1Q2wtAFwUHVs=]
Crate Path:
"Oops I made it too wide"

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Crate Path"-eNqr1iEJGFnqkA6MDfBLGxGpBggMdYwpQ4YQU6CGGZpRhuCGGZqDjTMlHxmbQEyC+BRhHoalJDkO3TRKELpnzch2HNgwUFKCGQdkU8d9Iyb0qJbuRkNu+IacKaz0NNYxNgWRhjpmREN4GUkJrK5WKlHSiY4FomqlNBCrFgAW9DaD]
Pegbox:
One of my first "successful" levels. (The previous ones had had several revisions.)

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Pegbox"-eNrVksEKgCAMQP/Fs5dpKn1LdO0Lukn/3oTS0mmkCDWHyBiP59Ty+gBzpBSXqlSFToCzoum9RH7m4inwDMWuJRPW6l6JyWKMmaGS8S7a15uDovzz80jNH2etOszaxOTGv6HpF2y3zf3idluKWGLKIQUjD9xVeyQKgOV/CuHXF5qkXy8689GhybKV8WnGtGxxp20HWjAeQA==]
The Sky is Falling:
Em... Can you beat this? I can't. Looks possible though.

[The Electric Shocktopus-"The Sky is Falling"-eNqr1jEx1tEhkjDUMQQiHbwApsbYkBhV9FFjTIw5ZoTVDE9TgOqQgLEJmiIjS7hZYJWG5tRDOrQxlYauBYXGUHIvzV0LCpDB61qIgcamIMNNTaDIEAOamoKQISFYXa1UoqQTHQtE1UppIFYtAG4G+mk=]
Guided Missile:
Because you guide it, and it's a missile! Get it? Guys?
[I wonder if guns and their overriding each other are turing-complete (or at least an FSA)]

[The Electric Shocktopus-"Guided Missile"-eNqdUksOhSAMvAtrFtb6iWd5cesJ3JF3dxGBB2VA8tomhWkdyqDRmU38ZFp100beJJR8QjEhnoBRlpDFjto4DhcEPKabQRLWbybmmYOHyI8lfGCDUFg6GpWa09LQyhaf8K+x/daFFrbCs6t7srS1zVvoV7lLIO5/0Bc9ekig/FHDvlmYcQ9QCgM3EtXnCcL+F/7LF+dkkF5yb9Sp9Ge3YdRxr74XJiKxeg==]
Edit: Oh, and the whole "certain tiles only refresh when you play" is a but counterintuitive, but I suppose that'll get fixed soon.

Edit: Bug, I think. After coming back from sleep, the game seems to be running much faster than normal (though that might not be the cause.) Relaunching fixed it.
NealCruco

Post by NealCruco »

A Random Player wrote: Level editor stars persist in the "absolute spot" if you delete a level before it; they don't move. If the level-slot with the stars no longer exists, remaking a level there persists the old stars. Closing/relaunching doesn't fix it, no matter if the slot with the stars actually contains a level. (I think I got the stars to disappear once, but I can't reproduce it.)
Just to clarify what (I think) ARP means:
Make a level and earn, say, two stars on it. Now delete that level and recreate it. The game will say you've earned two stars on the new level, even if you haven't yet played it.
testtubegames
Site Admin

Post by testtubegames »

A Random Player wrote:I've noticed that ...
Ah, good catches. I think I know what's going wrong with Currents -- they're drawn differently than the rest of the level, so at least one of my 'clearing' methods must be missing them. Should be an easy fix.

*Absolute star/level position - whoops. Need to fix that. (Neal, thanks for the help in clarifying the problem)

*Switches - They should work, but they're not at all intuitive. (Pick a tile, then click the switch, then click the spot, then... etc...) That's one of the systems I'd like to overhaul, so confusion right now is totally acceptable.

*Guns don't work after using the editor? Shoot (ha) that's not right at all.

*I (finally) realize now what to do to stop the game from speeding up -- thought I'd fixed it before but clearly not. I realize there's another loophole that can make the game run at max-speed instead of the standard 30 fps.
A Random Player wrote:Oh, and the whole "certain tiles only refresh when you play" is a but counterintuitive, but I suppose that'll get fixed soon.
Could you explain this one a bit more? Is it that sometimes there's some filler tiles or weird missing-outlines in the edit-mode... but when you play the level loads up properly? If so, yeah, that's on my radar. If it's something else, though, I'm all ears.
A Random Player wrote:here's some levels I'd made ...
Yay! Can't wait to try them.
A Random Player

NealCruco wrote:Just to clarify what (I think) ARP means:
Make a level and earn, say, two stars on it. Now delete that level and recreate it. The game will say you've earned two stars on the new level, even if you haven't yet played it.
Correct, and to Andy, correct as well.
testtubegames wrote:*Switches - They should work, but they're not at all intuitive. (Pick a tile, then click the switch, then click the spot, then... etc...) That's one of the systems I'd like to overhaul, so confusion right now is totally acceptable.
Well of course it works NOW, when I was doing exactly the same thing as before... :P
To clarify, since it took me a while even after the explanation:
Click the switch in the editor box. Place it down. To tie a tile to the switch, select the tile in the editor box, and click the switch on the level. Start drawing.
To toggle the switch's state (and in which state subsequent tiles draw appear), click the switch.

Looks like there's a black box when cycling through the switch's states, which repeats with period 3 instead of 2. Seems like one state is for "normal" tiles, which I think could use reclicking the tile in the editor box instead. [If any of these issues do not pop up for you, blame the glitchy switches :P]

Thus I present "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE SWITCHES"

[The Electric Shocktopus-"WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE SWITCHES"-eNqr1hkFgwaYmoAQ5WqgwNACt5yxyRAKF6BH8PmFaDVwtURAXMqqq5VKlHSiY4GoWilNCUwVAylzU1MdM1Og8GgyHjophkQjh1Ho0MqzhhajWWBYZqfh6xUzKCRdFc46GoRMoRWDmeFoxTAKqJmAR9MSyWFmBEVUUDX0A8MQiohSBSvFzM0gpRgI1QIAoDp8vg==]
Ninja-edit: I can't delete switches and tiles tied to them.
A Random Player wrote:Oh, and the whole "certain tiles only refresh when you play" is a but counterintuitive, but I suppose that'll get fixed soon.
Could you explain this one a bit more? Is it that sometimes there's some filler tiles or weird missing-outlines in the edit-mode... but when you play the level loads up properly? If so, yeah, that's on my radar. If it's something else, though, I'm all ears.
Most notably, the magnetic fields do not appear when you first put them down. I've seen this happen with other tiles (guns, for example), but they are erratic and instead of not appearing, only their outlines disappear when I delete them. (playing fixes it.)